Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Sentry vs Superman (all versions for both)

Apologies if this topic has been done to death (the search function on here brought up nothing) ...

All I know about Marvel's Sentry is what I've gleaned online.

- uber flying brick capable of killing gods

- has "the power of a million exploding suns"

- Comes back from just about any damage in a fight

- has confidence issues / split personality called the Void

- has a version called Death Seed or something

- visually inspired by, of all things, Nuclear Man from the 1987 movie SUPERMAN IV - THE QUEST FOR PEACE.

Speaking of Superman, he's the other guy in this battle.

All 5 baseline versions of him.

1. Original 1938 Superman

2. Pre-COIE Earth-1 Superman

3. Post-COIE / Pre-Flashpoint Superman

4. New 52 Superman

5. Rebirth Post-Merger (New 52 + Post-COIE) Superman

No Thought Robot Superman, no Superman Prime 1 Million, no Superman 1 Million Kal Kent, no Godwave Superman, none of the ridiculously esoteric versions here. Just those five baseline, non-one-time-only versions of the Man of Steel.

Against whatever versions of Sentry are out there (preferably not more than 5 versions of Sentry for neatness' sake).

Standard rumbles settings.

How do these rumbles turn out?

Sentry is a completely different animal to Superman these days really. The only version, of those listed, who has a chance against Sentry is Pre-Crisis.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Pretty much what KJS said.

Original-flavor Sentry isn't as ridiculously fast as most versions of Superman, but he's got the Dr. Manhattan-esque ability to survive and return from being utterly obliterated. He's also got something like Molecule Man's ability to control particles, which is how he rebuilds his body, and does other stuff like resurrect dead people and make the Void show up. He's also got some absolutely ridiculous energy blasts and is a top-tier flying brick in Marvel, being able to beat the snot out of guys like the Hulk, smash through Doom's forcefields, muscle the Crimson Bands, and do stuff like containing an exploding Cosmic Cube in his hands and get into fistfights with other major heavyweights that cause the planet they're on to start busting up. He's also got some decent speed, but nothing like Supes'. On top of all that, he's got some pretty darn high telepathic abilities, but is thankfully unaware of them and hasn't consciously used them. Generally, we've classed him at around Thanos-tier, as I recall, since we've seen him beat up Heralds, but don't think he's a match for guys like Odin.

Death Seed Sentry is the version that Apocalypse resurrected and turned into one of his Horsemen. It's unclear if he's supposed to be using the same powerset, so I think we generally treat him as his own version. He's most noted for dragging Thor to another solar system elsewhere in the galaxy within the span of a sentence, peeling off his own face and shooting a beam from his skull, and then getting into a fight with Thor that caused the inhabited planet they ended up on to have planet-wide earthquakes.

Most versions of Supes should be able to run rings around either version and potentially even destroy his body, but he can just come back from that and eventually dispose of Supes.

Pre-Crisis Supes has used Super Hypnosis a number of times, so he's not just stronger and faster than Sentry's ever been, but has one of the better ways to mess wih Sentry's main weakness - his mental instability.

Pre-COIE Earth-1 Superman also has Torquasm Vo, and so does post-Crisis. That allows Superman to attack somebody mentally via the astral plane, against which Sentry has no defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Pre-COIE Earth-1 Superman also has Torquasm Vo, and so does post-Crisis. That allows Superman to attack somebody mentally via the astral plane, against which Sentry has no defense.
    First rule of Torquasm Vo Club? Hmmm...?

The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    First rule of Torquasm Vo Club? Hmmm...?
    First rule of Troquasm Vo is that it was a garbage ability.

Superman being jostled, knocked him out of it. It was /horrible/ defense.
    "Someone or thing has got to pay, it's given too much to take away. Oh I just want a legacy, Oh I just want it all to never fade! Don't we all arrive, at the same place where we began?" - Divisi

Sentry is a massively powerful telepath who has blocked mental assaults from some of Marvel's most powerful psionic characters.

He also has the kind of f**ked-up head you don't really want to go into.

For context, he's stopped Professor X, Emma Frost and Doctor Strange from invading his mind - which has been described as "impenetrable darkness". And, of course, he wiped the minds of almost every character on Earth and the Moon.

Superman hasn't got a chance of beating him with telepathy.

matter manipulation FTW

Can't PC supes just timedump him?

You keep bringing this up like it's a thing instead of what boiled down to a barely beyond one off ability in the grand scheme of post crisis Superman's career that flew pretty hard in the face of it.

This is aside from the notes people making of "it actually kinda sucked" anyway.

Wait a minute ... didn't I say "standard rumbles settings" in the OP?

Doesn't that mean BFR via space toss (at super-speed) is a perfectly viable means to victory here?

It sounds like 4 of the 5 baseline versions of Superman (excluding the original 1938 edition) would be able to "defeat" Sentry this way.

Or am I wrong (and please explain why or why not)?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Wait a minute ... didn't I say "standard rumbles settings" in the OP?

Doesn't that mean BFR via space toss (at super-speed) is a perfectly viable means to victory here?

It sounds like 4 of the 5 baseline versions of Superman (excluding the original 1938 edition) would be able to "defeat" Sentry this way.

Or am I wrong (and please explain why or why not)?
    Sentry could get back under his own power, so nope, it's not a viable option to defeat him.

Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    Sentry could get back under his own power, so nope, it's not a viable option to defeat him.
    Ah, I see. So BFR only counts as a victory if the removed party

A) can't survive the vacuum of space (say, Batman in his standard suit)

or

B) can survive the vacuum of space but has no way to return to the battlefield on their own (say, Hulk).

So, BFR won't work on any Continent-Buster (and up) who either has flight and/or teleportation and/or dimension-dump abilities, right?

So ... could Pre-COIE Earth 1 Superman simply grab Sentry at superspeed, fly him at 1 Million times FTL and toss him into the nearest black hole before Sentry knows he's even moved? Black hole won't kill Sentry, but would he have the strength to escape it?

Again is PC Superman time tossing Sentry that far fetched? He could probably throw him a million years into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Ah, I see. So BFR only counts as a victory if the removed party

A) can't survive the vacuum of space (say, Batman in his standard suit)

or

B) can survive the vacuum of space but has no way to return to the battlefield on their own (say, Hulk).

So, BFR won't work on any Continent-Buster (and up) who either has flight and/or teleportation and/or dimension-dump abilities, right?

So ... could Pre-COIE Earth 1 Superman simply grab Sentry at superspeed, fly him at 1 Million times FTL and toss him into the nearest black hole before Sentry knows he's even moved? Black hole won't kill Sentry, but would he have the strength to escape it?
    Your BFR description is correct.

As moonknight has said, a time dump could work. PC Supes definitely has a shot of winning, as per my first response in this thread.

Dumping Sentry in a black hole wouldn't work though. I personally think he's strong enough to escape one, but that's irrelevant because the fact is he has teleportation in the universe-spanning range.