Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default The Best and Worst of Dan Slott's Spider-Man

By and large, Mr. Slott seems to be a highly polarizing writer among the Spider-Man fandom. Some consider him to be one of the all time greats, while others claim that he doesn't even understand the character. Personally, I've always found Slott to be rather hit and miss. For every great story he has done, there have also been some pretty terrible ones as well. It might be a little premature to say since his run isn't finished, but he has been on the book for close to a decade and fans are constantly discussing/debating his work, so I find it fitting that we should list his best and worst Spider-Man stories. For me:

BEST:

03.) No Escape (Superior vol. 1 #11-13)
    02.) Renew Your Vows (Mini-Series)
    01.) Spider-Man & The Human Torch (Mini-Series)

WORST:

03.) The Clone Conspiracy (Mini-Series) (Amazing vol. 4 #20-24)
    02.) Spider-Verse (Amazing vol. 3 #9-15)
    01.) Power Play (Amazing vol. 4 #12-15)
    Last edited by Masked Guy; Yesterday at 02:39 AM.

Mighty Member

Best

Spider-Man/Human Torch
    New Ways to Die
    Renew Your Vows
    Learning to Crawl

Worst

Superior Spider-Man
    The Clone Conspiracy
    Alpha trilogy [he'd even agree with me]
    Power Play

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Best

Spider-Man/Human Torch
    New Ways to Die
    Renew Your Vows
    Learning to Crawl

Worst

Superior Spider-Man
    The Clone Conspiracy
    Power Play
    I never liked New Ways to Die or Learning to Crawl, but did really enjoy most of Superior Spider-Man. Also, I would tend to agree with you and him that Alpha was a dud.

Spectacular Member

Best

Spider-Man/Human Torch
    New Ways to Die
    Renew Your Vows
    Learning to Crawl

Worst

Superior Spider-Man
    The Clone Conspiracy
    Power Play
    I was at a convention last year and went to the panel with Dan Slott. He admitted that the Alpha story sucked. Originally he plotted it as a single giant size issue instead of 3 normal sized issues. He said the story didn't work because the pacing and plot did not work as a multi issue story.

He also mentioned Molten Man story in issues 581-582 as one of his least favorite stories.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I was at a convention last year and went to the panel with Dan Slott. He admitted that the Alpha story sucked. Originally he plotted it as a single giant size issue instead of 3 normal sized issues. He said the story didn't work because the pacing and plot did not work as a multi issue story.

He also mentioned Molten Man story in issues 581-582 as one of his least favorite stories.
    I remember him talking about that. It's always admirable when a writer can admit some of the flaws in their own stories.

What are some of your favorite and least favorite Slott stories?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I liked Mind on Fire...I know it was a story that required too much for a two issue thing, but he made it work

Incredible Member

I liked Mind on Fire...I know it was a story that required too much for a two issue thing, but he made it work
    I never cared for Mind on Fire either. I found the explanation for Harry Osborn's resurrection to be highly underwhelming, but in fairness, I don't really blame Slott for that. I'm not sure any writer could conjure up a satisfying explanation for Harry's survival and where he was all that time.

I really like Dan Slott's Renew Your Vows miniseries. Liked the premise, thought the characterization and writing was pretty good, and the whole family idea was something I never knew I wanted. Maybe it needed to be a little tighter on the pacing, but I can let that slide. The only thing by him that I enjoyed.

I really loathe Superior Spider-Man. To be fair, I hated the premise when I heard about it, so I doubt I was in the target audience. However, I found it so bad, I couldn't finish it. Beyond the fact that I never wanted or liked having an evil Spider-Man, the voice Slott gives Doc Ock is really grating for me. Recently having the chance to read Kraven's Last Hunt, I feel that that story already covered the ground that Superior was trying to, but did it in a way that told a good story.

My two cents.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I really like Dan Slott's Renew Your Vows miniseries. Liked the premise, thought the characterization and writing was pretty good, and the whole family idea was something I never knew I wanted. Maybe it needed to be a little tighter on the pacing, but I can let that slide. The only thing by him that I enjoyed.

I really loathe Superior Spider-Man. To be fair, I hated the premise when I heard about it, so I doubt I was in the target audience. However, I found it so bad, I couldn't finish it. Beyond the fact that I never wanted or liked having an evil Spider-Man, the voice Slott gives Doc Ock is really grating for me. Recently having the chance to read Kraven's Last Hunt, I feel that that story already covered the ground that Superior was trying to, but did it in a way that told a good story.

My two cents.
    I definitely agree with you on Renew Your Vows. It was great seeing Peter as a husband again and finally a father. The central premise of him doing whatever was necessary to protect his family was very compelling and served as a solid character arc with Peter violating his moral code at the beginning and reinstating it at the end in order to set the best possible example for his daughter (which is something the character absolutely would do). Annie's character was also a pleasant surprise as I found her to be very likable and interesting. My only real gripe with the story was Regent. I honestly just found him to be a bland villain who served more as a plot device than an actual character. Other than that, great story. I've always been a marriage fan, but even I didn't completely realize just how much I missed it until I read Renew Your Vows.

I have a rather interesting relationship with Superior Spider-Man. Like many fans, I initially hated the premise and thought it would never work. To my surprise, Slott actually ended up crafting a very interesting tale that delves into the psyche of one of Peter's greatest foes and what it really means to be Spider-Man. It wasn't perfect, as I really disliked issue #2 where Doc Ock spends the entire thing trying to get into Mary Jane's pants and later masturbates to the memories of her and Peter getting intimate with one another (ugh). The utter ignorance of the other characters (especially Mary Jane and The Avengers) was also really obnoxious as it was very obvious from the beginning that Peter wasn't himself. This is the Marvel universe after all; the concept of a mind swap isn't exactly foreign. Aside from those gripes, I thought Superior Spider-Man was a rather daring arc (in a good way) and a solid character study.
    Last edited by Masked Guy; Yesterday at 02:44 AM.

Best...
    Superior Spider-Man #1-10
    Amazing Spider-Man #655-656 (No One Dies)
    Amazing Spider-Man #666-673 (Spider Island)
    Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid
    Renew Your Vows

Worst
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 4 #6-8 (Mr Negative, Cloak and Dagger, girlfriend's betrayal)
    Mind on Fire (more due to a lack of obvious competition)
    Alpha (more due to a lack of obvious competition)

I do think Slott's clever enough as a writer that his worst comics will still have something to recommend it, even before accounting for his tendency to work with great artists.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    I definitely agree with you on Renew Your Vows. It was great seeing Peter as a husband again and finally a father. The central premise of him doing whatever was necessary to protect his family was very compelling and served as a solid character arc with Peter violating his moral code at the beginning and reinstating it at the end in order to set the best possible example for his daughter (which is something the character absolutely would do). Annie's character was also a pleasant surprise as I found her to be very likable and interesting. My only real gripe with the story was Regent. I honestly just found him to be a bland villain who served more as a plot device than an actual character. Other than that, great story. I've always been a marriage fan, but even I didn't completely realize just how much I missed it until I read Renew Your Vows.
    That's seems to be the universal complaint: "The parts with the Parkers were good, but Regent was awful." Since I originally read it for the former, I was willing to forgive it, but it is the part where the story suffers the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    I have a rather interesting relationship with Superior Spider-Man. Like many fans, I initially hated the premise and thought it would never work. To my surprise, Slott actually ended up crafting a really interesting tale that really delves into the psyche of one of Peter's greatest foes and what it really means to be Spider-Man. It wasn't perfect, as I really disliked issue #2 where Doc Ock spends the entire thing trying to get into Mary Jane's pants and later masturbates to the memories of her and Peter getting intimate with one another (ugh). The utter ignorance of the other characters (especially Mary Jane and The Avengers) was also really obnoxious as it was very obvious from the beginning that Peter wasn't himself. This is the Marvel universe after all; the concept of a mind swap isn't exactly foreign. Aside from those gripes, I thought Superior Spider-Man was a rather daring arc (in a good way) and a solid character study.
    Fair enough. I have seen it make enough "favorites" lists so I'm sure there was something that people latched onto. It's just not for me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Best...
    Superior Spider-Man #1-10
    Amazing Spider-Man #655-656 (No One Dies)
    Amazing Spider-Man #666-673 (Spider Island)
    Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid
    Renew Your Vows

Worst
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 4 #6-8 (Mr Negative, Cloak and Dagger, girlfriend's betrayal)
    Mind on Fire (more due to a lack of obvious competition)
    Alpha (more due to a lack of obvious competition)

I do think Slott's clever enough as a writer that his worst comics will still have something to recommend it, even before accounting for his tendency to work with great artists.
    That's reasonable. While I did like Spider-Island, I can't quite say that I loved it. No One Dies however was indeed a great story and a clever commentary on the slippery slope of death in comics. I also enjoyed the first ten issues of Superior (excluding issue #2), so I see why you would choose that as one of Slott's best.

As for your worst, I don't have much to add since I disliked all of those stories as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That's seems to be the universal complaint: "The parts with the Parkers were good, but Regent was awful." Since I originally read it for the former, I was willing to forgive it, but it is the part where the story suffers the most.

Fair enough. I have seen it make enough "favorites" lists so I'm sure there was something that people latched onto. It's just not for me.
    To clarify, I wouldn't say that Regent was necessarily awful in Renew Your Vows (though I definitely thought he was in Power Play), just bland.

I wouldn't quite call Superior Spider-Man one of my "favorites" necessarily, but I did really enjoy it for the most part. That being said, I acknowledge that it isn't for everybody.

Fantastic Member

1. Spider Island
    2. I'm With Stupid
    3. Renew Your Vows

Worst

Can't think of the top of my head, nothing hrs written has really been bad but I hated how Madam Web would randomly appear during Big Time to bail Peter out and advertise the next arc.

I also found Spider Verse a bit of a chore, so maybe tgat

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    1. Spider Island
    2. I'm With Stupid
    3. Renew Your Vows

Worst

Can't think of the top of my head, nothing hrs written has really been bad but I hated how Madam Web would randomly appear during Big Time to bail Peter out and advertise the next arc.

I also found Spider Verse a bit of a chore, so maybe tgat
    I will never understand why so many people liked Spider-Verse. It was a slog from beginning to end in my opinion.