Renew Your Vows
    Learning to Crawl

Worst

Superior Spider-Man
    The Clone Conspiracy
    Alpha trilogy [he'd even agree with me]
    Power Play

Fantastic Member

I was at a convention last year and went to the panel with Dan Slott. He admitted that the Alpha story sucked. Originally he plotted it as a single giant size issue instead of 3 normal sized issues. He said the story didn't work because the pacing and plot did not work as a multi issue story.

He also mentioned Molten Man story in issues 581-582 as one of his least favorite stories.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-04-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    He also mentioned Molten Man story in issues 581-582 as one of his least favorite stories.
    I liked Mind on Fire...I know it was a story that required too much for a two issue thing, but he made it work

I really like Dan Slott's Renew Your Vows miniseries. Liked the premise, thought the characterization and writing was pretty good, and the whole family idea was something I never knew I wanted. Maybe it needed to be a little tighter on the pacing, but I can let that slide. The only thing by him that I enjoyed.

I really loathe Superior Spider-Man. To be fair, I hated the premise when I heard about it, so I doubt I was in the target audience. However, I found it so bad, I couldn't finish it. Beyond the fact that I never wanted or liked having an evil Spider-Man, the voice Slott gives Doc Ock is really grating for me. Recently having the chance to read Kraven's Last Hunt, I feel that that story already covered the ground that Superior was trying to, but did it in a way that told a good story.

My two cents.

Best...
    Superior Spider-Man #1-10
    Amazing Spider-Man #655-656 (No One Dies)
    Amazing Spider-Man #666-673 (Spider Island)
    Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid
    Renew Your Vows

Worst
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 4 #6-8 (Mr Negative, Cloak and Dagger, girlfriend's betrayal)
    Mind on Fire (more due to a lack of obvious competition)
    Alpha (more due to a lack of obvious competition)

I do think Slott's clever enough as a writer that his worst comics will still have something to recommend it, even before accounting for his tendency to work with great artists.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

1. Spider Island
    2. I'm With Stupid
    3. Renew Your Vows

Worst

Can't think of the top of my head, nothing hrs written has really been bad but I hated how Madam Web would randomly appear during Big Time to bail Peter out and advertise the next arc.

I also found Spider Verse a bit of a chore, so maybe tgat

All-New Member

I always feel like he has great concepts but sometimes the execution falls flat. I don't have anything I truly love or hate everything he has put out has just been fine for me. It's kinda like a TV show that you watch but if you skip an episode or two you don't really care.

BANNED

Top 5 Best:

1. Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid - Emphasizes everything Dan Slott is good at. Clever, economical silver age inspired stories, a skill for concise story structure learned from writing 22-page tie-in comics in the 90s. A honest love of the Marvel Universe. Equally good humor and hints of pathos in good measure.

2. Spider-Island: While most events seem to focus on one incident and spreaaaaad it across multiple issues with superfluous tangibility related characters, Spider-Island earns its sprawl with a relatively compact 6 issue run time. Its an impressive balancing act of half a dozen different sub-plots, yet never loses sight of its main character Peter Parker. Humberto Ramos has never been more in his element, in the high energy momentum-driven narrative he finds himself drawing, and the two Stefano Casseli issues book ending the event are just about perfect.

3. Paperdoll:
    As good as any "normal" story arc in Amazing Spider-Man history. Slott has rarely been so in sync with the rhythms of a satisfying Spider-Man story, the breezy blend of Peter Parker moral dilemma and colorful superheroics that combine to deliciously compelling result. Marcos Martin is INCREDIBLE. Every bit of body language, every display of character, every sense of movement hinted at in Dan's script, he finds the best one to illustrate it.

4. Superior Spider-Man #1-10: Cheating a bit since this is several stories, but credit given where credit is due for taking a dopey idea and spinning gold. These are incredibly well thought-out comics, that only come with a real understanding of the traditional Spider-Man narrative and how you can flip it for dramatic irony. The juxtaposition of our "hero" interacting with all the supporting cast, new love interests, and rogue gallery is compelling both in itself(SpOck is just such a strong character) and in the meta-textual sense of "man this is fuckin up Peter Parker's rep!". This era would eventually run of steam and lead us into the years of mediocrity we have now, but these last great Slott stories arent easily swept under the rug.

5. Mysteriso - Once again, an excellent demonstration of Slott's knowledge of the Spider-Man comics and how he can make the familiar feel new. Takes Mysteriso house of horror illustration to a much wider, smarter field of play, incorporating that with some great street-level crime drama(Mr. Negative and his demons are the best recurring street level crime baddies Spidey has ever had). The best showcase for Carlie Cooper, the character, instead of just Carlie Cooper, the editorially mandated love interest. FANTASTIC Marcos Martin artwork, again he's the best.

Won't do a Top 5 Worst. Feel I've beaten up on Slott enough as it is these days. Just look at anything he's done in the past 3+ years and compare it to anything I wrote above.

Best:
    Amazing Spider-Man #648-651 - First Big Time story
    Amazing Spider-Man #688-691 - No Turning Back
    Superior Spider-Man #27-31 - Goblin Nation

Worst:
    Amazing Spider-Man #692-694 - 50th Anniversary story with Alpha
    Superior Spider-Man #22-25 - Superior Venom
    Amazing Spider-Man (V4) #9-11 - Conclusion of Zodiac arc
    Spider-Man's Tangled WebShow - A crazy podcast featuring Spidey-obsessed weirdos.

Fantastic Member

He hit a hit run with RYV, that may wind up a classic

I like his writing style, my only critique is the beginnings feel bigger that the end reveals on a lot of arcs. He clearly knows his shit - I'd like to see what he could do if given a blank slate and told to pick his fav artists and go nuts without over site for an arc.

Just when I'm done - he pulls some classic b list villain off the pile and does something really original with it ...

In the main book - I really like Superior really didn't like Clone Conspirancy - rest are mentioned already and sprinkled around the baseline.

Bonus points for the human torch / Spidey book , that was just fun

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Best:

Big Time, I'm With Stupid, Spider-Island, Ends of the Earth, No One Dies, No Escape, Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 4 #1 (my favorite Slott issue ever).

Worst:

Clone Conspiracy, Darkest Hours, The Dark Kingdom, and pretty much all of Volume 3 (with the exception of the first half of Spider-Verse).

Fantastic Member

One of the most curious things about these threads is Dan will probably see them ... Love or hate the finished work; it's nice to 1) have a little corner of the net to geek out, where 80%+ are respectful and 2) take some balls to be a creator and read this stuff... I wouldn't be able to .. My Irish would hulk out and get me banned in under 10 posts

Fantastic Member

The Best
    No One Dies

The Worst
    Amazing Spider-Man Volume 4 #1-15

Slott's run is a modern classic, like Hickman's FF and Morrison's NXN runs.

It might not be perfect - how could it be after so long?! - but Slott has crafted so many excellent stories during his tenure. He's great at seed-planting and better than most at utilizing continuity to strengthen his stories.

His Spidey comics often read like a Saturday morning cartoon, which I think it great for kids and kids at heart.

-Pav, who could go on...
    2017 Marvel Monthly Buys: America Ben Reilly: the Scarlet Spider Iron Fist Iron Fists Runaways Silver Surfer Spider-Gwen

Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my middle school students! DM for details

Best:

Renew Your Vows - The only Spider-Man story Slott has written that I genuinely liked (full disclosure: I haven't read Spider-Man/Human Torch).

Worst:

Superior Spider-Man - As a story, this actually wasn't badly written. But it put Peter's supporting cast in a very bad light, showing us that not even his former wife/girlfriend was able to tell him apart from the ego-maniacal Doctor Octopus. I'd like to think that, if an arrogant super villain took over my body, someone would notice. Then, there's the fact that Spider-Man blatantly murdered someone in front of tons of witnesses, an action for which he was never brought to account. And don't get me started on Peter's "ghost" going along for the ride...
    ASM #3 - The inexplicable heel-turn back to villainy for the Black Cat. Didn't make sense then, still doesn't make sense now.
    ASM #700 - Peter Parker celebrates his anniversary by watching Doctor Octopus take over his life, and then Peter dies horribly in Ock's decaying body. As far as anniversaries go, pretty much all of them are better than this one.
    Alpha - At the time Alpha was introduced, the character was so horribly cliche that most of us were wondered if there was some mind-blowing twist that would be revealed justifying Alpha's existence. Spoiler: There was not.
    Clone Conspiracy - Ben Reilly is finally back! But judging by Slott's portrayal of him, you have to wonder if Dan ever read an issue of Ben Reilly before. A disgrace to the Scarlet Spider name, and a face-slap to Ben Reilly fans everywhere.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 07-18-2017 at 12:32 PM.