Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Green Lantern Earth One

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/...tale-exclusive

Can't believe there hasn't been a thread on this yet.

It sounds pretty intriguing. Definitely not just another rehash of the same old story. It seems they've mixed Hal's origin with Alan's and Kyle's. And since Hal is setting out to rebuild the Green Lantern Corps...might we possibly be seeing some of the other Earth Lanterns as well?

Mighty Member
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I read the blurb and thought...

"So they are turning Barry Allen the adventurist SCIENTIST into a Green Lantern and calling him Hal Jordan. *sigh*"

His impetuousness was part of Hal's 'charm'. Job change? Well okay. Why change his personality and then claim he's still Hal Jordan? (Actually, much more a Kyle fan, but I think my point still stands. We just went through this with nu-Wally West, DC. Can you not learn?)

Otherwise it looks like it might be interesting as an Elseworlds kind of thing. Although now I'm a bit leery of what they might conjure for an Earth One: Flash version down the line.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Who says he won't be impetuous and impulsive just because he's a scientist.

Mighty Member
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Whereas Jordan is usually depicted as a cocky, hothead test pilot, he’s now a scientist who yearns to make new discoveries, so how he approaches using the ring will be different.

“Hal Jordan is a smart, capable person with a space and science background who has a lot of untapped potential even before he finds the ring,” Bechko explained. “That means he’s going to approach everything the ring does from the perspective of a scientist, but he’s going to employ it for action and adventure. The result for us as writers is the opportunity to fully embrace the science fiction aspects of the story in a way that would be impossible with a lot of other characters.”
    The way it is worded just screams to me: practical, analytical thinking used during adventure. As opposed to seat-of-his-pants flyboy Top Gun. I could be wrong. We'll see.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Not a big fan of changing Hal to be a scientist. However, the astronaut aspect could work. After all, Cooke used Hal yearning to be an astronaut well in New Frontier.

I *am* glad to see the Earth-One line continuing. Hopefully we'll also see Manapul's Aquaman the same year, in time for the movie.

Ultimate Member

Interesting, getting a 2001: A Space Odyssey sort of vibe from this.

As for changing Hal's personality... it is Earth One after all, everyone gets changed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Interesting, getting a 2001: A Space Odyssey sort of vibe from this.

As for changing Hal's personality... it is Earth One after all, everyone gets changed.
    Precisely.

Also, I think the whole thing about Hal being impetuous and cocky is just one aspect of the character which has gotten exaggerated to a ridiculous degree off late. At his core, Hal is all about conquering fear. Conquering fear, and being reckless aren't necessarily the same thing.

In any case, I expect this will be a little more faithful to the original mythos than the TT Earth One book was.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Precisely.

Also, I think the whole thing about Hal being impetuous and cocky is just one aspect of the character which has gotten exaggerated to a ridiculous degree off late. At his core, Hal is all about conquering fear. Conquering fear, and being reckless aren't necessarily the same thing.

In any case, I expect this will be a little more faithful to the original mythos than the TT Earth One book was.
    i agree....

i don't equate arrogance and lack of common sense to someone who is "fearless".

WELL, Nothing of Batman Earth 1 Vol 3.. but good, one chance of see a little different HAL JORDAN.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    The way it is worded just screams to me: practical, analytical thinking used during adventure.
    I.e., having the Right Stuff. I.e., like a 1950s test pilot. I.e., returning him to his Silver Age character.

I call this a big "Duh."

Ultimate Member

Precisely.

Yeah, Hal is supposed to be 'able to overcome great fear', not an idiot who doesn't understand what he is doing. Like he was a test pilot, meaning he knows he is getting into an experimental plane and it's part of the fun of his job to push it to the limit, not go over it.

I wouldn't expect that, the premise seems completely changed. The GLC is dead and Jordan is finding a relic and decides to rebuild it again... though I have a hunch Hal will start off exploring the ruins of Oa before he gets to the 'I'll rebuild it' stage.

Spectacular Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Looking forward to this!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Yeah, Hal is supposed to be 'able to overcome great fear', not an idiot who doesn't understand what he is doing. Like he was a test pilot, meaning he knows he is getting into an experimental plane and it's part of the fun of his job to push it to the limit, not go over it.

I wouldn't expect that, the premise seems completely changed. The GLC is dead and Jordan is finding a relic and decides to rebuild it again... though I have a hunch Hal will start off exploring the ruins of Oa before he gets to the 'I'll rebuild it' stage.
    Well, the announcement claims that Hal rebuilding the Corps will be part of the plot. I suppose it makes sense for Hal to recruit a team of human Green Lanterns (unless he runs into, I dunno, Kilowog or Tomar Re out there).

It seems like this could be good if done with interesting stories and great artwork.

Ultimate Member

Well, the announcement claims that Hal rebuilding the Corps will be part of the plot. I suppose it makes sense for Hal to recruit a team of human Green Lanterns (unless he runs into, I dunno, Kilowog or Tomar Re out there).
    Part of the blurb atleast, but thats not saying we see him get run and done in one go.

I figure the length of the story is fist seeing Hal tending to his boring asteroid mining job, he then finds the ring and gets introduced to the GLC and the Manhunters similar to how Starlord was looking through that first planet we saw him on as a man-child. I suspect he gets yanked off to Oa at this stage, as per ring programming. Maybe he runs into an old Manhunter along the way and perhaps Ganthet (usually it's him) and rebuilding starts from there.