Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Yes. If the story is good and written well, it could be good!

Incredible Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Astronaut Hal sounds more interesting than Pilot Hal. Earth One Flash might be a Nascar Racer

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Precisely.

Also, I think the whole thing about Hal being impetuous and cocky is just one aspect of the character which has gotten exaggerated to a ridiculous degree off late. At his core, Hal is all about conquering fear. Conquering fear, and being reckless aren't necessarily the same thing.
    Hal seems like a bad parody when written like that, or the 21st century version of 1980's Guy Gardner.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Also, I think the whole thing about Hal being impetuous and cocky is just one aspect of the character which has gotten exaggerated to a ridiculous degree off late. At his core, Hal is all about conquering fear. Conquering fear, and being reckless aren't necessarily the same thing.
    I agree. Reigning it in a little isn't a bad thing plus he's still described as more adventurous and thrillseeking which I think are good traits to indicate the fearlessness.

As for giving him a scientist background I think that makes sense too, to be an Air Force pilot he would have had to perform well in STEM courses. Not to mention the book is pitched as going back to GL's Silver Age roots where it was part of Hal's origin that he designed and built the module that he'd been testing when he got the GL ring. Also since GLEO sounds like it's going to emphasize scifi elements I could also see the scientist angle as being kind of Star Trek-like in that if he wanted to go explore space then excelling in science was a simple path to that.

I want it for the cover alone. Damn, it looks badass. I like the Earth One stories so I'll be picking this up. Too bad I have to wait until March.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, 'Tec, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Supergirl, Superwoman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

I'd never had any interest in the Earth One series before, but this sounds awesome.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I stopped ready DC at the begining of the New 52, but this might be the first DC book I buy since. It does sound sorta unHal but it also seems really intriguing with the astronaut angle. Besides that I thought the first Superman Earth One was really good. (Havent read the others) But if its anything like that I will enjoy it.

Invincible Member

Sounds interesting. I'm curious as to how someone would take a "hard science" approach to such a character.

I am really looking forward to it! The cover looks awesome!
    Pull List: Superman, Action Comics, Batman,Titans, Flash, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Youngblood, Black Hammer

Wife's pull list: Wonder Woman

It's cool to see the Earth One series continuing, and this sounds pretty cool .

I also think Hal as an astronaut is a logical evolution of the character from his test pilot heyday, and with the emphasis on his science we hopefully won't see "idiot Hal."

I'm also curious what characters we'll see in this, especially when it comes to Hal's supporting cast and the Corps. The design for the Manhunters will also be interesting to see.

I think Gary Frank is still doing pencils for volume 3 of Batman Earth One and there might be a script for Wonder Woman Earth One, and there's still Manapul's Aquaman Earth One.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's cool to see the Earth One series continuing, and this sounds pretty cool .

I also think Hal as an astronaut is a logical evolution of the character from his test pilot heyday, and with the emphasis on his science we hopefully won't see "idiot Hal."

I'm also curious what characters we'll see in this, especially when it comes to Hal's supporting cast and the Corps. The design for the Manhunters will also be interesting to see.

I think Gary Frank is still doing pencils for volume 3 of Batman Earth One and there might be a script for Wonder Woman Earth One, and there's still Manapul's Aquaman Earth One.
    Earth one is indeed exploring new aspects of the characters.

About scientist Hal. Why not? Indiana Jones was a scientist too.
    #Dr.Wertham would be proud of you.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Astronaut Hal sounds more interesting than Pilot Hal. Earth One Flash might be a Nascar Racer
    Actually, one of the interesting things about the otherwise pitiful TV version of the Flashpoint story-arc was that in that reality, Wally was struck by lightning while he was testing a new race-car engine he'd developed.

Might be an interesting take on the origin for an Earth One series.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A cocky astronaut/scientist is the way to go. Matt Damon in THE MARTIAN, finding the ring.

I hope Manapaul's Aquaman surfaces soon, and maybe a whole new Superman: Earth One that isn't awful.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    A cocky astronaut/scientist is the way to go. Matt Damon in THE MARTIAN, finding the ring.

I hope Manapaul's Aquaman surfaces soon, and maybe a whole new Superman: Earth One that isn't awful.
    that was a cool movie...

how was superman earth one btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Cocky? Definitely - before the storm.

After, not so much.

And, he needed every ounce of self-confidence and courage he could muster to survive and escape.

Needless to say, definitely looking forward to this as well.
    Last edited by KoriandrJean; 07-16-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Emphasis