Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Standing Member

Default Why can't Richard Grayson be Batman's son?

I know this isn't part of established comic book continuity. But I started thinking about it in terms of the current movie Batman and it made sense to me that Grayson could be the son of Batman--and that would be a way to make Robin/Nightwing work in the movie universe.

In the old days, it couldn't happen, because Bruce couldn't have a child out of wedlock, what with the Comcs Code. But that's no longer a moral red line in comics. And Bruce is a father to Damian, so it's clearly acceptable for Bruce to have offpspring.

That Bruce is the real father of Richard Grayson explains why he would go to see the boy perform at a circus--maybe he has just found out that Richard is his biological son and he's come to the circus to confront Mary, only to see her die before he has the chance. And that explains why he takes in Richard after Mary and John Grayson are killed.
    That's right, that's right, I'm sad and blue
    'Cause I can't do the boogaloo
    I'm lost, I'm lost, can't do my thing
    That's why I sing "Gimme, gimme dat ding!"

--The Pipkins (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

Isn't Bruce only 8-16 years older then Richard?
    Skeeter: Hey time traveling O5 members of the X-Men We don't take kindly to people who create a time paradox around here!

Bartender: Now calm down Skeeter they aint hurtin nobody.

Skeeter: No! I wanna know som'in from the "O5" How come you cant go back to your own timeline in the first place and how come when Reed Richards "fixed" the universe you wasnt put back and how come the changes that happn to you dont happn to your present day selves?

Bartender: Skeeter I dont want trouble

I would had PAID to see this thread started during the week.

He kind of already is.

Incredible Member

Adopted son, yes. Blood son, never.

For one, it would needlessly complicate their backstory by requiring an account of when Bruce had an affair with a traveling circus performer. And there's also the age discrepancy, as Dick and Bruce are usually portrayed as being no more than 10-15 years apart, with that gap getting smaller for every additional Robin.

But it simply doesn't work for narrative reasons. Bruce took Dick in because he saw him as a kindred spirit. He saw a boy standing over the bodies of his dead parents, and chose to help him. Putting in blood ties or a legal obligation weakens that narrative.

Honest question, does the fanbase of the character feel he is dimisnished if he`s not considered a son or whatever?

It seems a contendinng obessesion here and there. I don`t think you gain much in overcomplicating what doesn`t need to be complicated.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

"Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

"Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

Mighty Member

Because use that misses the point of their relationship, the good and the bad parts. Bruce built himself a family of starting with a boy who had similar circumstances after losing his own biological one. Also it's needlessly complicated. Also adoption erasure.

Standing Member

In the movies--and even in the comics--there seems to be an argument that Bruce should not and would not involve a child in his mission. This is why screen versions are likely to have Robin/Nightwing as 18 or older, just to avoid that problem.

But separate the two things--Grayson as the adopted son, Robin as the sidekick. If Bruce has a reason to bring Richard Grayson into his house (ignoring the whole sidekick question), then it makes sense why a young Richard Grayson is there.

Ben Affleck's Batman seems to be around 40 years old (Affleck is almost 45), so it's reasonable that he could have a son that grows up to be Nightwing.
    That's right, that's right, I'm sad and blue
    'Cause I can't do the boogaloo
    I'm lost, I'm lost, can't do my thing
    That's why I sing "Gimme, gimme dat ding!"

--The Pipkins (another Tony Burrows one hit wonder)

Bruce was young when he adopted Grayson... The age difference is a problem..

And I like that he adopted Dick... No problem with this.
    Last edited by adrikito; 07-15-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    For one, it would needlessly complicate their backstory by requiring an account of when Bruce had an affair with a traveling circus performer. And there's also the age discrepancy, as Dick and Bruce are usually portrayed as being no more than 10-15 years apart, with that gap getting smaller for every additional Robin.

But it simply doesn't work for narrative reasons. Bruce took Dick in because he saw him as a kindred spirit. He saw a boy standing over the bodies of his dead parents, and chose to help him. Putting in blood ties or a legal obligation weakens that narrative.
    Exactly! I think that it's fine that he is an adopted son and a kindred spirit, sort of.

Pretty much what everyone has said is why this would be a bad idea: The age difference, the elimination of the ideas that Bruce saw a kindred spirit in Dick and that he built a new family after losing his original one, and most importantly, the adoption erasure and the implication you're giving that Dick isn't already Bruce's son.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

Please refer to me with gender neutral pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In the movies--and even in the comics--there seems to be an argument that Bruce should not and would not involve a child in his mission. This is why screen versions are likely to have Robin/Nightwing as 18 or older, just to avoid that problem.
    You don't think the legal limitations on how long a non-adult's work day can be might also play a part in having Dick Grayson closer to 18 in a movie version?
    Another problem with Bruce being Dick's birth-Daddy: would Dick know that all along? Would his current birthfather in the comic books be a step-father or something? And how would Dick feel about his dead parents if it was revealed after their death they had LIED to Dick about who his birth-father really was? Wouldn't Dick also have resentment towards Bruce if it was only now once his "parents" were dead that Dick learned Bruce was REALLY his father, and didn't provide for Dick the way he could have / should have while Dick was growing up?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Yeah, I have to pile on here to simply echo that is a bad idea for many reasons. I don't want moviegoers getting such a wrong take on Dick Grayson.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

There's nothing I can really add to this other then just reiterating that the whole angle of Bruce taking in Dick after a cruel twist of fate because it reminded him of what happened to his parents is more compelling then Bruce doing it because Dick is his illegitimate son.

Though between this and some of the speculation regarding Raptor back when he first showed up, I have to wonder what's wrong with John Grayson or Dick's parents' marriage ?