Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ultimate Marvel Comics Recomendations?

Hi everyone. Basically, as the title says; what should I get and what should I avoid? Also how are the more obscure mini series (vision or Iron Man)?

Mighty Member

Ultimate Spider-Man is great. Haven't read the others so I can't say anything about them.

I've read part of Ultimate X-Men, but I hear it stinks later on.

Ultimate Spider-man is very slow paced (like everything written by Bendis) but good. Millar's Ultimates was pretty much the basis for the MCU so I guess if you like the MCU then you'll like it as well. Ultimate X-Men and Fantastic Four are alright, nothing exceptional but a good read at times.

Haven't read much past-Ultimatum but I've heard people say that Hickman's Ultimates is also worth a read.

I would recommend Ultimate Spider-Man.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Mark Millars Ultimates is one of my favorite series, full stop. Ultimates 2 was the highlight for me. I lost steam at Ultimates 3, but that was written by Jeph Loeb.
    Currently Reading:
    MARVEL - Infamous Iron Man, Secret Empire, Renew Your Vows, Guardians of the Galaxy
    DC - Red Hood and the Outlaws, Mister Miracle
    Dark Horse - Hellboy/BPRD
    Other

Ultimate Universe must reads

-Ultimate X-Men runs by Millar, Bendis and BKV
    -Ultimates by Millar
    -Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis
    -Ultimate Fantastic Four by Millar/Bendis (they co-authored the first few arc)
    -Ultimate Galactus Trilogy by Warren Ellis

Any Ultimate title you can get your hands on pre-ultimatum is worth a read imo and that includes the mini's and the odd balls like Ultimate Hawkowl and Woody. There are definitely some dips in there however. The worst pre-ultimatum by consensus is Ultimates 3 by Jeph Loeb, personally I didn't hate it but it was very different from Millar's Ultimates and his stuff spawned the MCU. I really like Ultimate X-Men all the way up to Ultimatum but I must admit that most people say the quality went down after BKV's run ended. Ultimate Spider-Man was probably the most consistent. Ultimate Fantastic Four started off amazing and then got derailed.

Then Ultimatum happens and it blows everything up

Post Ultimatum Ultimate Spider-Man is still the most consistent and probably the best. Ultimate Avengers brings Millar back as writer and is pretty good, a few duds but overall enjoyable. Ultimate X-Men is replaced by Ultimate "X" and is only 5 issues, it is okay and worth reading for some background knowledge on who will become the new X-Men team in the Ultimate Universe. Also read Hickman's Ultimates, it would have been in my "must read" section above but I'm not sure how much you are looking to get into. Heck, here is a quick post Ultimatum must read

-Ultimates by Hickman
    -Ultimate X-Men by Spencer and Wood
    -Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis
    -Spider-Men by Bendis.

If you want me to keep going let me know because I can talk about the Ultimate Universe all day and there is a lot of good stuff outside of what I've mentioned.
    Please bring back any Wolverine.

Ultimate X-Men 1-65. Kirkman starts at 66 and it's where everything goes bad.
    Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis
    Ultimate F4 1-32
    Magneto/Cyclops/Batman/Bane/Deathstroke

As a lot of people have said, Ultimate Spider-Man is worth reading (I think the series was at its best pre-Ultimatum and that the stuff after that (both Peter and Miles) was never quite as good (although still decent, at their very worst), but your mileage may vary.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

My favorites are the following...Great story and art!

Ultimates 1 & 2 by Millar and Hitch
    Ultimates Comics: The Ultimates by Hickman, vol 1 (issues 1-6), vol 2 (iss 7-12)
    Ultimate Thor by Hickman and Pacheco
    Ultimate Six by Bendis - Mainly a Spiderman story but the Ultimates play a big role
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    If you want me to keep going let me know because I can talk about the Ultimate Universe all day and there is a lot of good stuff outside of what I've mentioned.
    Yeah man, feel free to. I'd like to see what people thought of Ellis Iron Man stuff, for example.

And thank's to everyone for their imput thus far.

So it looks like Ultimates Vol. 3 and Ultimatum are ones to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by RumpusMagoo View Post
    So it looks like Ultimates Vol. 3 and Ultimatum are ones to avoid.
    Ultimatum is tricky. You have the main story (the Ultimatum miniseries) that most hate. Each of the series running at the time, though (Spider-Man, X-Men, F4, etc.) tied into it in some way, and those tend to be more mixed. Case in point, you do find a lot of people who don't like Ultimatum itself, but do like the Spider-Man Ultimatum story. The Ultimatum: Requiem issues were also really good.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Ultimatum is tricky. You have the main story (the Ultimatum miniseries) that most hate. Each of the series running at the time, though (Spider-Man, X-Men, F4, etc.) tied into it in some way, and those tend to be more mixed. Case in point, you do find a lot of people who don't like Ultimatum itself, but do like the Spider-Man Ultimatum story. The Ultimatum: Requiem issues were also really good.
    There was one issue of Spider-Man during Ultimatum with no dialogue whatsoever. It was a brilliant issue. Especially in a visual medium silence speaks louder than words.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    There was one issue of Spider-Man during Ultimatum with no dialogue whatsoever. It was a brilliant issue. Especially in a visual medium silence speaks louder than words.
    Yeah, that issue was amazing. Good end point too, if you want it to be. I didn't read Ultimate Spider-Man after that. Only Death of Spider-man.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Yeah, that issue was amazing. Good end point too, if you want it to be. I didn't read Ultimate Spider-Man after that. Only Death of Spider-man.
    I wonder if those kinds of issues are easier, or harder for writers to script. On one hand they don't have to write any dialogue, but on the other hand they need to co-ordinate with the artist(s) to convey exactly what they want to get across. It also puts a lot more on the artists because that's the only way to express how characters are feeling. Stuart Immonen is an incredible artist, I put him up there with Ethan Van Sciver and Rafa Sandoval in terms of quality.