View Poll Results: Should Aunt May know that Peter is Spider-Man?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes she should know

32 88.89%
  • No she shouldn't

4 11.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    The whole "immediate family members can't know my secret identity" in general is a tired trope that should've been retired a long time ago.
    I mean, I think in the first decade or so of Peter's career it makes sense that he didn't tell her given her terrible health and how much she hated Spider-Man.

But he really doesn't have that excuse now. She's survived the death of two husbands and a fiancee, I think she can deal with knowing he's Spider-Man.

I think you can get good stories out of either. However, I think that resetting things once she knew was a mistake. "Once a secret is learned, it can't be unlearned," if that makes any sense.

Fantastic Member

I voted YES
    I am tired of the naive Aunt May.
    She should easily know that Peter is Spider-Man.

Oh hell yes Aunt May should know at this point. Erasing her knowledge of Peter's dual identity was a terrible mistake in my view. Then again everything about that retcon was atrocious, to put it mildly.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-16-2017 at 03:45 PM.
    "You'll never learn to fly now 'til you're standing at the cliff."

Astonishing Member theoneandonly's Avatar

may should know the secret as it makes her more integral part of peters world.
    The Self is the only existing reality

Ultimate Member

It really is surprising that she doesn't know, after over a decade. It also means she doesn't know how Peter really met Bobbi Morse. She probably thinks they only met recently, when Bobbi started working as one of PI's bodyguards alongside Prowler and Spider-Man (come to think of it, I wonder if Peter takes two pay packets? His cover story for Spidey should require that his costumed alter ego gets his own pay packet). In reality, they were on an Avengers team together some years ago.

YES! YES! YES! a thousand times YES! For awhile it made sense for him to hide it. Now though what purpose does hiding it from her serve. Without here knowing she's become well obsolete.

Ultimate Member

Yes, but this time around lets add a twist to this: Have her recall OMD deal. Now that would be an interesting twist.

Her not knowing he his Spidey only really works when Peter is a Teenager, once hes a grown up the dynamic loses anything that makes it really compelling.

I really struggle to understand, even after reading all the replies, the opinion that Aunt May should know. This has little to do with her being a frail old lady with a bad heart who couldn't take the shock as presented 50 years ago. To me, the reason for having a secret identity is not only to protect those close to you by not having them know too much (and thus not have them be targeted) but also to present different story ideas/settings. I think Spidey has lost something over the years by not having some of those "protect the secret ID" moments; sure, some of them got a bit tired and cliched but a lot of them were charming and fun as well.

I mean, to me it's either have a secret ID or don't and make Peter fully the new Tony Stark and just have everyone know. The comics started going somewhat in that direction once Spidey joined the Avengers with a bunch of them knowing and then Civil War happened of course and since then, it's been a mixed bag of who knows and who doesn't. To me, Spidey works best when he has to juggle both identities and has to protect an ID and only a few select confidantes (like Johnny Storm and Daredevil) actually know his secret; that way, the story really is about both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Aunt May is still his only family relation (though we will see where they go with Teresa Parker) and I think the story works better if she doesn't know.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I really struggle to understand, even after reading all the replies, the opinion that Aunt May should know. This has little to do with her being a frail old lady with a bad heart who couldn't take the shock as presented 50 years ago. To me, the reason for having a secret identity is not only to protect those close to you by not having them know too much (and thus not have them be targeted) but also to present different story ideas/settings. I think Spidey has lost something over the years by not having some of those "protect the secret ID" moments; sure, some of them got a bit tired and cliched but a lot of them were charming and fun as well.

I mean, to me it's either have a secret ID or don't and make Peter fully the new Tony Stark and just have everyone know. The comics started going somewhat in that direction once Spidey joined the Avengers with a bunch of them knowing and then Civil War happened of course and since then, it's been a mixed bag of who knows and who doesn't. To me, Spidey works best when he has to juggle both identities and has to protect an ID and only a few select confidantes (like Johnny Storm and Daredevil) actually know his secret; that way, the story really is about both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Aunt May is still his only family relation (though we will see where they go with Teresa Parker) and I think the story works better if she doesn't know.
    Having a secret identity didn't save Gwen from Norman. It also didn't protecy Betty Brant when the original Sinister Six decided to randomly take her hostage to lure out Spider-Man.

If anything having allies among other superheroes to look out for him and his loved ones is the smarter idea. And it's not like people are asking him to go public like Tony. That's not the same as him telling May.