Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Jason is older than her... She is in Tim age(16)...
    Pre Flashpoint I thought that would be a fun pair...

Now? Naww....

Spectacular Member

bizarro/jason todd

the true pairing

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Exhibit B on why her truncated age is so stupid.
    Kara is in high school in Rebirth so being 16 makes perfect sense.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Well yeah, that's how they've built this incarnation. My argument is they shouldn't have built it that way as its in contrast to the overall Rebirth movement. It made sense when they did it post-Crisis, as this was a brand new Kara in the continuity for the first time since the pre-Crisis one's death. She was starting over, so any chosen age was appropriate. Likewise for the New 52, everything including her was starting over. But Rebirth is reincorporating the post-Crisis history and merging it with the New 52. So why in the world would Kara get even younger? By the time the pre-FP verse ended she was around 18 and mentally had grown from inexperienced kid close to a mature adult, both on a mental and superheroic level. And now all of a sudden she's back to being a kid in high school. If anything she should be pushing 19 and in college on an Earth-0 in which post-Crisis continuity and the New 52 adventures were merged.

There are other characters in the Superverse for that adolescent/high school niche anyway. Of course the most prominent one they've inexplicably erased from continuity. Maybe that's the motivation. But that would just count as stupidity on top of stupidity.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2017 at 12:56 AM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well yeah, that's how they've built this incarnation. My argument is they shouldn't have built it that way as its in contrast to the overall Rebirth movement. It made sense when they did it post-Crisis, as this was a brand new Kara in the continuity for the first time since the pre-Crisis one's death. She was starting over, so any chosen age was appropriate. Likewise for the New 52, everything including her was starting over. But Rebirth is reincorporating the post-Crisis history and merging it with the New 52. So why in the world would Kara get even younger? By the time the pre-FP verse ended she was around 18 and mentally had grown from inexperienced kid close to a mature adult, both on a mental and superheroic level. And now all of a sudden she's back to being a kid in high school. If anything she should be pushing 19 and in college on an Earth-0 in which post-Crisis continuity and the New 52 adventures were merged.

There are other characters in the Superverse for that adolescent/high school niche anyway. Of course the most prominent one they've inexplicably erased from continuity. Maybe that's the motivation. But that would just count as stupidity on top of stupidity.

I agree.

I've said for a long time that it's problematic from multiple perspectives.

- She's around 25 or so on the TV show.

- She, like Superman, can benefit from having a history, established enemies, and a well established familiarity with earth while also having more familiarity with Krypton than Clark. (See again: The TV show.)

- She sells better when drawn older.

- Do a Google image search for her. A lot of that fan art goes WAY too far for my tastes and DC should be cautious about objectifying its characters but I think a Google image search or Deviantart search tells you how fans FEEL about a character. I'm going to compare this to Kirk and Spock. I don't think they're LGBT. But there's a lot of fan energy behind shipping them. Don't be cruel to those fans but be aware of them when writing those characters. Likewise, Kara.

Kara, like Dick Grayson, is a first crush character for a lot of people. I'm not advocating crazy T&A but I think being sensitive to that "first crush" quality means aging them up to a level where fans of all ages don't have to feel guilty about that. It's an emotional investment. Reward those kinds of emotional investments. I'm not saying fan service or pursuing that exclusively. Figure out ALL the ways that people connect to your characters and reward a balance of those emotional ties in healthy doses. That drives sales and it's what I think Rebirth is about.

In general, I kind of favor teen characters being allowed to age and hitting a wall at "mid to late 20s" with the iconic heroes hitting a wall at "early 40s", even if it causes a pileup as characters who debuted years apart wind up the same age. Likewise, I'd be fine with Jon aging at a slow rate so long as he doesn't turn 21 before my funeral. :-)

I can think of a LOT of viable ways to get Dick Grayson down to a younger age without breaking the low sci-fi realism of the setting or erasing Nightwing, even if they're a bit Spider-clone-y or Fear Monster-y. But I think you'd be trading something that sells for something that doesn't sell as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    - Do a Google image search for her. A lot of that fan art goes WAY too far for my tastes and DC should be cautious about objectifying its characters but I think a Google image search or Deviantart search tells you how fans FEEL about a character.
    This got lampshaded in that arc where Superman had his fortress in the rainforest. Supergirl asked him if people disliked her costume since they kept drawing pictures of her without the costume.

Age wise doesn't really work.

Jason is also doesn't seem the type to date Superheroes especially since he isn't the best hero out there

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Age wise doesn't really work.

Jason is also doesn't seem the type to date Superheroes especially since he isn't the best hero out there
    Has he dated anyone before? I don't remember Jason ever dating.
    I've seen him flirting but not in a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Has he dated anyone before? I don't remember Jason ever dating.
    I've seen him flirting but not in a relationship.
    I think that blonde girl in RHATO but I forgot her name. She wasn't a superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I think that blonde girl in RHATO but I forgot her name. She wasn't a superhero.
    The one from the plane? Wasn't that a one night cover type deal?
    Last edited by Fergus; 07-21-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Incredible Member

What the issue is that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Well, Jason wouldn't be the first bad boy/anti-hero she's dated in the past. Back when the artist and writers were depicting Kara as a white trash teenager.

Let me see... NO.

Been lurking since '08

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    What the issue is that from?
    Supergirl Vol.5 #9
    Last edited by Marik Swift; 08-20-2017 at 12:30 PM.