Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What is the worst period for Wonder Woman comics?

I thought this thread might be a little too negative, but then again, there's a threads in the Superman and Batman sections of the forum that poses the same question except for those two characters, and there's a thread in the Spiderman sub-forum which asks who is the worst Spiderman writer, so this can't really be any worse than any of those.

That's an easy one. The New 52 run by Azzarello. It was more about spectacle than depth and could be summed up as juvenile deviant shock value.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Justice League of America, The Terrifics, Titans, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

There's quite a few to choose from. I would disagree mightily that the New 52 run comes anywhere close to being a contender, but I digress. I'd go with the mod era. For an idea meant to strip away basically everything that made Wonder Woman Wonder Woman, it lasted too long. Five years is too long to take away her powers, her costume, her supporting cast at the time...just too much. Pick and choose any one of those aspects to take away, maybe. But all of 'em? Bad idea. In retrospect some circles try to paint it as being better than its reputation holds, but I don't see it. It would have been fine if it was something for maybe a year at most. But not five.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-16-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

I wouldn't say just the New 52 run, but the entire breadth of time from Heinberg to Rebirth was this ongoing snowball of things getting worse and worse for the WW mythos with no one able to pull it back up.

Do not get me wrong: There were a couple good writers during this time. There were even good stories that they'd managed to wrangle out of the heap. But at the end of the day they were working with a broken foundation (the Tom Tresser romance, Amazons Attack, Final Crisis, JMS's half-arsed reboot) and trying to plug a leaking dam with scotch tape, and it showed. The one-two-three-four punch of all that, plus Azz's grimdark destructionist reboot and the Finches' clumsy run, comprise the worst period of WW for me.

Hey, you said period, so I can be broad about it.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Tend to agree with BrianWilly. Finch and Azzarello were the absolute nadir of the title, to an extent where I think it's legitimately debatable whether they even count as good faith attempts to write the character. There are probably those who think that Azzarello was great but Finch was awful, but to me they were both awful in the same way. If anything, Azzarello was worse as a writer, taking more than thirty issues to tell a story that could have been told at a reasonable pace in ten.

But they were simply the rock bottom of a long period of editorial hostility to Wonder Woman and her mythos, one that probably started with Heinberg - a period of neglect which, as you may remember, we were lucky to be favored with one issue every six months. There were also writers who cared following Heinberg - Gail Simone bravely tried to soldier on with the mess she'd been handed - but she was followed by the horrid and depressing JMS period, which also had an inappropriately dour tone and destructive attitude towards the character and her world. That was so bad that I actually thought Azzarello would be an improvement for his first few issues.

Before then, you have to go back to the depowered I Ching era to find something as bad as all that. And even that was partially redeemed by Sekowsky and Giordano's art.
    This message has been placed here
    IN MEMORIAM
    by the Tijuana Bible Society.

Fantastic Member

Robert Kanigher's "Return to the Golden Age" period before O'Neil & Sekowsky took over. Seriously not worth the paper it was printed on.

A close second would be the Finchs' run. Despite being wife & husband, the scripts too often didn't play to the artist's strengths, and pacing was bizarre, the dialogue was largely terrible, and too many ideas that were either poor or poorly executed.

Not my cup of tea...The Finches, JMS, Picoult, and Simonson/Ordway (remember the haircut "shocker" <gasp!>)

There are other runs where I didn't love everything, but found some of what was written/developed solid additions to the Wonder mythos.

Do you mean worst writer or worst for the character overall?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, what issue was this from, please?

The Finch Run. Absolutely the Finch run.

I don't actually know how people can say that Azzarrello's run was a lowpoint for the character - yes, it was unlike most things that the character had been known for before, but this version of the character as well as the new installments to her mythos (such as being the child of Zeus) was actually very much a boon for the character of Wonder Woman. It saved her from what she was destined to fall into - relative obscurity. It made changes that are still well received among a general fanbase and that are still relevant today, such as the Zeus origin being used in the film and it being a major plot point for Rebirth. Sure, it may not have been your Diana (it wasn't exactly mine, though certain things about her definitely do still stick in my head as being perfect for Wondy), but it was STILL a good time for Diana. Immediately after that? Not so much.

"You are here. You fought the weekend war, and you made it to the other side. Welcome to Monday; you can be anyone here. This is a new day, a new beginning, a new chance to be great. We are wiser and wilder than we were yesterday. Go kiss a stranger. Scream your favorite song from the top of the tallest building. You have the right to remain rock and roll. This is the end of the innocence; youth wasn't wasted on us. Now get out there, and write your story." - Brian Logan Dales, The Summer Set

I would agree with many others on here and say the finch run is the worst. While the deodato era biker diana, azzarello's run and the depowered diana era were both pretty bad at least they were trying something new and I have to give them credit for at least trying something creative, even if I didn't really like most of it. Finch's run was just bad all around, no extreme changes just really boring plots and uninteresting characterization. I personally really love david finch's art and buy almost any book he is involved in but the storyline on that run was so bad I stopped reading after 3 or 4 issues.
    Favorite Characters

DC-Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Batman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Superman, Wonder Woman, Starfire, Flash(Barry), Deathstroke, Cyborg

Marvel- Thor (Odinson), Wolverine(Logan), Storm, Daredevil, Elektra, Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, She-Hulk, Spider-Man (Peter), Vision

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    I wouldn't say just the New 52 run, but the entire breadth of time from Heinberg to Rebirth was this ongoing snowball of things getting worse and worse for the WW mythos with no one able to pull it back up.

Do not get me wrong: There were a couple good writers during this time. There were even good stories that they'd managed to wrangle out of the heap. But at the end of the day they were working with a broken foundation (the Tom Tresser romance, Amazons Attack, Final Crisis, JMS's half-arsed reboot) and trying to plug a leaking dam with scotch tape, and it showed. The one-two-three-four punch of all that, plus Azz's grimdark destructionist reboot and the Finches' clumsy run, comprise the worst period of WW for me.

Hey, you said period, so I can be broad about it.
    How exactly did Final Crisis effect Wonder Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite's Champion View Post
    Do you mean worst writer or worst for the character overall?
    You could surely state who is the worse writer for the character overall, (For example, you could say Geoff Johns is the worst Wonder Woman writer even though he hasn't wrote a single Wonder Woman story), but I'm asking for the worst era for Wonder Woman comics, not a specific run or writer.

Astonishing Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Most everything between Marston and Perez. Ditto the period between Rucka's first run and the New 52.

The New 52 as a whole was awful. The Azzarello run was the best part of it. Its overrated and has plenty of things I dislike, but no way is it the worst, especially from that period. And it's leagues ahead of everything from Heinberg on.