Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I think this list is inaccurate as well. And I think we are going by this the wrong way. Here's why.....the Mutants I've placed in bold have either the power to reality warp or powers who directly affect the Planet itself and can destroy it anytime they want. If thats what we are going by Mutants that can destroy the Planet the ones in Bold are your answers.

Jean Grey
    Quentin Quire
    Hope Summers
    X-Man
    Rachel Grey etc all Summers kids and Grey kids should not be on this list. Without the PF alone they can't directly affect the Planet let alone destroy it. Also, the PF is not hereditary LOL or Genetic(don't know what maddness that came from)

Apocalypse
    Magik
    Mister M
    Vulcan
    Legion
    Iceman
    These characters can make Earth a living HELL. Each one of them can manipulate large amounts of Energy. However, I have not seen either one of them directly affect the Planet. Not saying they can't, but I'm saying they have potential to.

I think Mutants with the power to directly affect the Planet like: Storm, Magneto, Magma etc. or Mutants that can actually reality warp: Franklin, Proteus etc are the ones to be in this list.
    this is actually a great point. I think this was the point rutog was making earlier too. especially the point about the PF. I think im inclined to agree with this as I can't recall anything that has occurred in canon to contradict your points.

It was Morrison who made the case for the Phoenix being the height of genetic mutation(a thought, in some ways mirrored by Claremont's idea that Rachel inherited the Phoenix as a matter of genetic lineage). So, it certainly has a presence in the canon. Of course, there are contradictory stories where the Phoenix is indeed a separate energetic entity that can possess people(thus altering their genetic expression?) and imbue them with great powers, so it is debatable.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Jean going Dark Phoenix is not her own power, though. That only happens when she gets possessed by a cosmic entity and the power it grants her drives her insane. A character doesn't get bragging rights when they require some outside source of power to do impressive feats. Also, anyone can wield the PF and anybody who does can destroy the planet with its power, so again, its not limited to Jean even in this regard.
    There's nothing, no event, no caption, or foreshadowing that gave any indication that prior to Emma and Jason's machinations Phoenix/Jean Grey was going to go insane because of her extended power levels.
    Time travel is optional.
    "Off panel", is a laughable defense.
    If it wasn't printed... It didn't happen

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    It was Morrison who made the case for the Phoenix being the height of genetic mutation(a thought, in some ways mirrored by Claremont's idea that Rachel inherited the Phoenix as a matter of genetic lineage). So, it certainly has a presence in the canon. Of course, there are contradictory stories where the Phoenix is indeed a separate energetic entity that can possess people(thus altering their genetic expression?) and imbue them with great powers, so it is debatable.

Even under Morrison, the Phoenix Force was a separate entity from Jean Grey. Do you recall when Jean walked in on Emma's and Scott's psychic affair?
    She threw Scott out of the room and telekinetically sealed the door shut. Afterwards, she told Emma, "Now its just you, me, and The Phoenix". So, there were three entities present. I have the entire Morrison run, actually. I have not read it in a long while, but from what I recall, the mutation had to do with her being a suitable host to the PF. It was something that all potential Phoenix Force hosts had in common. Jean on her own was nowhere near that strong, but she could host the PF, something which only a few characters could do at that time. The whole thing Morrison tried to establish here is null and void now given AvX. After AvX anybody can now wield the PF, so it can no longer count as a secondary mutation to be able to host it.

Without the Phoenix Force, there are tons of telepaths who are more powerful than she including Shadow King, Legion, Xavier, Stryfe, Emma Frost, Exodus, and X-Man.
    Last edited by rutog98; 07-17-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    This post is utterly ridiculous
    I think you are saying this because of what I said about Magneto. Its true, though, every word of my post. Magneto has the powerset to be a global threat, but lacks the raw power to use his powers on such a scale without a machine to boost his powers. The same holds true with the Summer/Grey clan. They lack the raw power to destroy the planet without the Phoenix Force boosting their powers which is not something unique to them since anybody can wield the PF now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    There's nothing, no event, no caption, or foreshadowing that gave any indication that prior to Emma and Jason's machinations Phoenix/Jean Grey was going to go insane because of her extended power levels.
    That's because Phoenix Force Jean Grey's power levels were cut down to Xavier's power levels so that Magneto could fight her. Her power levels stayed below the cosmic levels she had before she was written down to fight Magneto until Jason did his thing and the power that was locked down was unleashed. Jean Grey is a TERRIBLE host for the PF. She can't handle the power. Rachel is a much more suitable alternative to host the PF.
    Last edited by rutog98; 07-17-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Rachel Grey etc all Summers kids and Grey kids should not be on this list. Without the PF alone they can't directly affect the Planet let alone destroy it. Also, the PF is not hereditary LOL or Genetic(don't know what maddness that came from)

Fortunately for you I do... Classic X-Men v1 #43
    Time travel is optional.
    "Off panel", is a laughable defense.
    If it wasn't printed... It didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Unlike Storm's ability to manipulate the solar wind, right ?.
    That is not a good comparison. When Storm controls solar winds, it's her own power not some cosmic force enhancing her abilities.
    I've seen your end and it starts with you challenging me.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    That is not a good comparison. When Storm controls solar winds, it's her own power not some cosmic force enhancing her abilities.
    And i was not being sarcastic.

After all, the solar wind is still wind, right ?.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Well, "high-powered" telekinetics are technically "reality warpers". The ability to mentally manipulate all matter is warping reality, not short of; breaking it down, reorganizing it, and instant materialization. In many instances, X-Man (Nate Grey) at full power was very much a reality warper, while not on Franklin or Legion's level, he walked that line fairly often. I can think of two cases off of the top of my head; pulling Xavier's physical body into the astral plane and then out again into the material world (both feats are fundamentally impossible), and the recreation of Maddy Summers' body, though I'm not certain what he can do on a global level that will lead "the end of days", maybe initiate a chain of events, but then a bunch of people could that. The writer seems to have misunderstood Legion. Yes, his individual personalities have their own powers. Thats not because he has a bunch of X-genes that allow that. He's a broad spectrum reality warper and each of his abilities have a segment of that power or at least simulate having their own power due to his ability "warp reality". His mental illness merely fuels the problem, not just exibiting MPS but the ability to give these personas life. This was resolved in Si's X-Men: Lagacy run, aka Legion solo.

Apocalypse shouldn't be on this list... he can cause the end of the world through his mechanizations (AoA: that timeline ended in atomic fire killing everyone), but hardly do it single-handedly. Again Magik can cause the end of the world by story plot. Nothing she can do can end the world. But a story can be written where her powers rip a hole in space-time large enough that it engulfs all of Earth over even the system, perhaps even the galaxy (would have been an awesome call-back to Inferno during Bendis' run where she was losing control of her powers following AvX). Another means would be opening a permanent gateway to Limbo and letting demons run free across the planet for all eternity, essentially bringing hell to Earth. Hope shouldnt be here either. She can be dangerous depending on who shes around. If this is the case, we might as well throw Rogue and Synch in.

Franklin Richards should be number one. Phoenix can destroy a solar system, sure. But Franklin can create entire universes as play-things. Think he cant snuff one out? Isn't there a cosmic rule? ; "do not antagonize Franklin Richards"
    Franklin couldn't snuff out Onslaught. He was just a toy...and Nate Grey was easily doing Phoenix entity feats as he stopped time, manipulated molecules, matter manipulation, and was breaking dimensions. Silver Surfer stuff.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I think you are saying this because of what I said about Magneto. Its true, though, every word of my post. Magneto has the powerset to be a global threat, but lacks the raw power to use his powers on such a scale without a machine to boost his powers. The same holds true with the Summer/Grey clan. They lack the raw power to destroy the planet without the Phoenix Force boosting their powers which is not something unique to them since anybody can wield the PF now.

That's because Phoenix Force Jean Grey's power levels were cut down to Xavier's power levels so that Magneto could fight her. Her power levels stayed below the cosmic levels she had before she was written down to fight Magneto until Jason did his thing and the power that was locked down was unleashed. Jean Grey is a TERRIBLE host for the PF. She can't handle the power. Rachel is a much more suitable alternative to host the PF.
    Excuse me, kiddo. Magneto has kicked Jean , Phoenix Jean, and Storm's ass. What on earth are you talking about? This happened because he's brilliant and a force of nature. He stopped Thor in two panels while Storm gets knocked out by kissing him? Wtf...get real. You're trolling gimmick is preposterous...Storm or Jean can't match Exodus..so how in the hell they gonna match a mutant that forced the world to hand over Genosha by force?
    Last edited by JasonEsta; 07-17-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Excuse me, kiddo. Magneto has kicked Jean , Phoenix Jean, and Storm's ass. What on earth are you talking about? This happened because he's brilliant and a force of nature. He stopped Thor in two panels while Storm gets knocked out by kissing him? Wtf...get real. You're trolli ng gimmick is preposterous...Storm or Jean can't match Exodus..so how in the hell they gonna match a mutant thst forced the world to hand over Genosha by force?
    this cbr article isn't about who kicked whose ass. it's about who can destroy a planet and from my understanding what rut said is true. Magneto has not demonstrated a planetary feat unaided without machinery. Storm has been beaten by Valkyrie but that doesn't mean she has the power to destroy a planet.

Mighty Member

Thats a retcon because the Phoenix entity is a gimmick add on..it was never a mutation. It came from space..and Jean never did anything with it except one story. She couldn't stop Apocalypse...or Sinister or even Cable's sorry ass son Genesis. She got punked by Lorna at the wedding. Got owned by Nate Grey and Stryfe...where was her genetic Phoenix power then? Why did she need to combine with Xavier to get inside Magneto's mind in X Men #25 as he fought 4 other x men as distractions? She did nothing when Magneto owned the entire x family in Uncanny 304...hell, Rogue and Bishop were their only chance at the time.

Personally I prefer the idea of the Phoenix as an ancient, alien firebird that can possess various beings, but the idea of a genetic Phoenix is sprinkled in the canon.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    this cbr article isn't about who kicked whose ass. it's about who can destroy a planet and from my understanding what rut said is true. Magneto has not demonstrated a planetary feat unaided without machinery. Storm has been beaten by Valkyrie but that doesn't mean she has the power to destroy a planet.
    Magneto demonstrated no planetary feet? What are you talking about? Magneto and Doom ate the top villains in Marvel. All they do is do feats no one can touch...wormholes(Excaliber #8(Surfer level)...Fatal Attractions(turned the world power off)...Magneto War(decimated the Magnetosphere)..if not for Joseph, they were dead. Simple as that. They couldn't do a damn thing to stop him.....being a ge ous that can up his powers is no detriment to Magneto..its why he's the A level and these sidekicks you're hyping up can't even stop Archangel on her good days.

Mighty Member

Personally I prefer the idea of the Phoenix as an ancient, alien firebird that can possess various beings, but the idea of a genetic Phoenix is sprinkled in the canon.
    That's not what Claremont wrote..its a retcon to give a lesser being more power than they created with. Stryfe owned her big time and there was no magical Phoenix save going at the time. She just didn't have the power to stop or get to him. At all. Not even close.