Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Well to be fair this is just a theory. Just as good a chance it doesn't happen than it does right now. So you have every reason to be encouraged right now that it won't happen.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Kingdom Come Board Original Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I can see Doc Manhattan giving Lois cancer in his attempts to "fix" Superman, but it being magically hand-waved away whenever Superman convinces Manhattan that hope is worth preserving.

Some day I could go for a storyline where Clark and Jon have to handle Lois gone missing on assignment or something like that, but I'd rather she not get sick. I know I theorized it very early on here but with reflection I don't think its the way to go right now. I think the Lex angle has more intriguing possibilities anyway. Like I said I think if they ever wanted to explore a storyline where Clark and Jon are faced with the threat of losing Lois, her going missing or being injured while actually doing her job has more appeal to me than her getting cancer.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

If Manhattan is so interested in Superman, I can see him giving Lois cancer in order to see how he will handle something that Manhattan himself couldn't handle well enough. He probably sees himself and Superman alike yet he is curious what makes him so different.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well to be fair this is just a theory. Just as good a chance it doesn't happen than it does right now. So you have every reason to be encouraged right now that it won't happen.
    Oh yes this is just a theory. I can think it won't happen. Thank you.

A side talk: There were valid points in my post. One of them was I am burnt by what happened to Jane Foster. She can be cured at Asgard but does not take a magical cure. Some have tried to give it a positive spin like she does not want to be privileged over other patients like her. Whatever way you spin it every time she is using that hammer to save the world she is killing herself. I liked the books and i loved Jane Foster but it felt so grim that i had to drop it. How can i cheer if every time she beats the Frost Giants i know she is dying?

The only thing supporting the theory is parallels to Watchmen. It appears more improbable. I think Manhattan was not a bad guy. He was simply losing interest in human life. I don't think he was such a bad guy that he would give someone cancer. He was a nice guy. A bit odd but not so cruel.

I don't know how different writers interact. How many would be privy to this bit of knowledge? And if foreshadowing why now in a guest arc. There was no indication till now in any of the books. That X-Ray was shown in Comic Con.

Finally a joke: the only thing foreshadowed is Jon siding with Manhattan against his father. This is more probable.

Its also worth mentioning that we already have a piece of possible foreshadowing that its indeed Lex who has the tumor. Oz told Lex as he was leaving after their confrontation that "soon you will be gone". Could have been a cryptic portending of Lex's death, that Oz already knows he's sick. So right now I still think the edge goes to Lex being the source of that X-Ray. This latest issue of Superman makes me consider Lois somewhat, but still doesn't make me put her ahead of Lex on the likelihood chart. But that's me.

Lois getting cancer sounds like a terrible plot idea, so hopefully that isn't the case. I still think Lex will get brain cancer like super lad guessed earlier in the thread, so we will see. It's the best way to the end the era of Lex being a hero.

Hi-Fi Fight Club Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

If Lois does get cancer, she won't die of it and it'll be gone by the end of Doomsday Clock.

But what I guarantee, if she does indeed get cancer, is that her fight with cancer will be way more about Superman dealing with it, than she herself. We'll get some moments of her dealing with it, but the main focus will be on Superman.

It'll be so bad, if it happens.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

Kingdom Come Board Original Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yeah, I'd much rather see Lex deal with having the one thing that defines him, his powerful brain, turn against him, than see Lois get it. However, it's all in the way it's handled.

It could happen to both Lois & Lex.

Ozymandias tricked Manhattan into thinking that he was responsible for giving cancer to several people.

As for Manhattan giving Lois & Lex cancer as a way to get to Superman. That's actually what Ozymandias did to get rid of Manhattan. He was the one responsible for people in Manhattan's life suddenly getting cancer.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 09-07-2017 at 03:28 AM.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

Astonishing Member theoneandonly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    It makes sense but i don't want to see this.

Killing off Lois will drive me away from comics. It is so heartless. They were together after years. In real time the couple were together for about a year. I am sick even thinking something like this happening to Lois.

If they keep her alive with cancer after Doomsday Clock it will take the joy out of the books i am reading. There are better things to do with my time. I read Mighty Thor for like 10 issues and dropped it. Jane Foster Thor was awesome but it was really depressing and frustrating. She can be cured but she is practically committing suicide. There is no reason why Lois can't be cured in the world of DCU. Writers may try to milk this tragic content.

I seriously don't want to enter this thread. There are grim images from posts. And seriously Lois Lane! I thought we were getting away from Women in Refrigerators. I don't blame anyone here who love Superman. It is just that my heart is breaking by this very thought.
    don't be a drama queen as I don't think Lois will be getting cancer even after this panel as it would be too similar to what Thor and odinson are going through. Why would they rehash the same plot of their marvelous competition? Led is the most likely candidate to get the cancer as he has history of getting it through kryptonite poisoning.
    The Self is the only existing reality

Giving cancer to Lois is a bad idea due to many reasons. I am not saying anyone wants this and i am defending myself and criticizing anybody. I simply think a lot. So here are some of my thoughts.

This Doomsday Clock is just not any event. It is among the most ambitious things ever tried by DC. This is simply not just a story. It is the meeting of two of the biggest icons in comics. Superman is the greatest hero simply based on the fact that his coming heralded the comic books as we know it. Without him there is no Batman, Spider-Man, Justice League, Avengers, X-Men maybe not even DC or Marvel. His symbol is among the most well known symbols of the world. People may not have read one comic book in life still know of Superman. He started it. On the other hand Watchmen is the pinnacle of comic books. The highest peak that comic books reached since its inception. This is no ordinary miniseries. Whatever it is good or bad it will make history. People will talk of it for years. If it is good they will say they tried something ambitious and it is a good follow up to Watchmen. If bad they would continue to say it was bungled.Whatever Johns does it can never satisfy everyone. Because there is no match to Alan Moore's greatest work. This will have consequences. One simply cannot have a book like this and not affect the books published by DC afterwards.

In this case giving Lois cancer simply for one series and removing it afterwards is a disservice to this attempt. She will either die in Doomsday Clock or continue suffering from it.

There would be backlash if he tries something like this. No doubt from fans. From other places also. Women's groups will criticize that Lois Lane a symbol of independent and successful women, mother of Superman's son was killed as an afterthought. This story is about Superman. I have heard of many great ideas and if this happens it can be only a subplot. Combine this with the possible death of Jane Foster in upcoming Marvel Legacy and there would be complaints that woman are not properly represented in comics. And i would agree with them.

Keeping her alive with cancer is yet another problem. There is no way that anyone living in Marvel or DC universe shall die of cancer. Magic, science all exist and in a different level altogether. It would make no sense. Just like Barbara working as Oracle. Even though it gave so many wonderful stories perhaps some of the best stories,it does not make any sense. Batman also had his back broken and was healed by some pshychic power. The same thing is with Jane Foster. It is so frustrating that she does not take Asgardian treatment which will cure her completely. Even on Earth in other places like Wakanda there is cure for cancer. But she can't take it due to politics (not sure about the real reason they can't share the cure). I am not saying the only reason is to create drama. One big reason is that curing her in this way is disrespectful to those who are suffering from cancer. Sadly a lot of people are suffering from this affliction. It has destroyed so many lives and homes. It has brought untold suffering to many. If she takes such a cure it cheapens something which is such a serious subject. So she has to die. They cannot keep her like this for too long. Practically all Marvel characters have underlying tragedies. For many it motivates them, the drive to do the right thing. But when tragedy is impending death? She has to die. If she lives for too long it is cheap. And something like cancer can never be cheap.

Same would be for Lois. There can be good and inspiring stories around her. But she has to die. And she has to die within a reasonable time. Otherwise it is an insensitive handling of this subject.

This will be among the most widely read books ever. Watchmen meeting Justice League. Superman and Dr. Manhattan face to face for the first time. Everyone would be curious. Even with a good way of handling Lois cancer it would still be criticized. And if the book is bad the backlash would be more severe.

And Lex with cancer is a more compelling story than Lois. Lois' cancer causes loss of hope. Fight between hope and pessimism is centered around Superman losing his love. It is too easy. But for Lex it can create a more nuanced story. Becoming Superman is the best idea of Luthor in years. Everyone knows he is Superman's worst enemy. But Superman inspired him to give up his evil ways. Now he is a changed man. He uses his power and resouces for good. He may have turned to good. but now he is suffering from cancer. When he did bad he was alright, now he is good and he suffers. Thus, with this frustration he loses all hope and turns back to his evil ways. His turnaround had reinforced Superman's optimism and faith in humanity. Lex have strengthened his hope. Hope that even the worst of people can change. They can be a force for good. Now he has to save Luthor from destroying himself. He has to win so that hope wins. Or the turnaround can give a setback to Superman. Can he really continue with this mission? His greatest win has become the worst defeat. Maybe evil is really more powerful than good. Or perhaps humanity is not worth saving. No one can change. Everyone is helpless as if tied by strings.

In conclusion i say that i know nobody wants to see Lois suffering from cancer. It does not appear to be the plan. Only a theory or a speculation. If tried it can be handled well. But it is not a good direction to take considering her central importance to DCU as Superman's wife. Her death invites criticism and life creates lots of problems akin to Thor. It makes no sense that she can't be cured but it has to be like that or else it would be an insensitive handling of this subject. Finally, Lex having cancer is a much richer oppurtunity to tell a story of clash between hope and cynicism. Lex's turnaround has been the greatest validation of Superman's mission that there is good within everyone. But Lex's fall strikes against the very core of the symbol of house of El: the symbol of hope. Optimism is useless if no one stays good in this world.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-07-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Doomsday Clock is a bad idea from the top.

Let the bad ideas keep piling up.

Astonishing Member

I recall Geoff saying Doomsday Clock would stand on it's own, hence why all the consequential developments are happening before it.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Oh yes this is just a theory. I can think it won't happen. Thank you.

A side talk: There were valid points in my post. One of them was I am burnt by what happened to Jane Foster. She can be cured at Asgard but does not take a magical cure. Some have tried to give it a positive spin like she does not want to be privileged over other patients like her. Whatever way you spin it every time she is using that hammer to save the world she is killing herself. I liked the books and i loved Jane Foster but it felt so grim that i had to drop it. How can i cheer if every time she beats the Frost Giants i know she is dying?

The only thing supporting the theory is parallels to Watchmen. It appears more improbable. I think Manhattan was not a bad guy. He was simply losing interest in human life. I don't think he was such a bad guy that he would give someone cancer. He was a nice guy. A bit odd but not so cruel.

I don't know how different writers interact. How many would be privy to this bit of knowledge? And if foreshadowing why now in a guest arc. There was no indication till now in any of the books. That X-Ray was shown in Comic Con.

Finally a joke: the only thing foreshadowed is Jon siding with Manhattan against his father. This is more probable.
    Agreed, I felt that Adrian Veidt, in spite of his stated justifications, felt more more "villainous" to me overall in the Watchmen graphic novel than Doctor Manhattan. Put in mind that Adrian Veidt was manipulating the situation to make it look like Dr. Manhattan gave people cancer when it was actually Adrian Veidt poisoning those people.