Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    You got some reading to do Bruce only wanted Dick. Thompson made him take Jay. Maybe Bruce is enabling Damian by letting him do whatever he wants. I mean he literally let him get away with murder, attempted murder and everything else.
    That was nu52 Bruce after the witnessing lil street urchin Jason stealing his tyre felt compelled to do something like any half decent human being would.
    All his kids he kept out of his own free will. Amazing how low this discussion has gotten due to one posters shocking attitude to decency and questionable beliefs.

Astonishing Member

So Damian is a dick. He inherited it all from Papa.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    You got some reading to do Bruce only wanted Dick. Thompson made him take Jay. Maybe Bruce is enabling Damian by letting him do whatever he wants. I mean he literally let him get away with murder, attempted murder and everything else.
    How much of new 52 is still canon? I recall Dick was staying at Bruce's for some type of protection after his parents died since DC seemed unsure of the son title for the non-Damian kids. I believe thhis was the "Robin internship" period. Dick found out the Batman secret ID and went out on his own to look for his parents killers. I haven't read the issue in a while but it came off like Bruce felt he had to allow it so he could look out for Dick since he'd go out anyway.

Lobdell has retold Jason's origin a few times and even in the version you're mentioning we don't know if Lelsie said "adopt him" or "stop treating a homeless orphan like a threat." That was during the new 52 too. The Rebirth version seems to follow the origin from Post-Crisis with Jason proving himself then Bruce taking him in. In all of Lobdell's versions as well as the Post-Crisis origin Bruce offers Jason the chance to be his partner. I don't know the current origin for Tim. Regardless he wanted all of his kids otherwise he wouldn't have bothered to take them in.

I do agree that Bruce is letting Damian do too much with no proper supervision or proper punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by EMarie View Post
    I do agree that Bruce is letting Damian do too much with no proper supervision or proper punishment.
    Exactly! That was the main point of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Well he didn't ask nor plan for Damian. This is a 10 year old child that was put off on him. He accepted and grew to love him. It's not like Damian was this quiet, sweet child that made it so easy to love him at first sight.

Give the man a break.
    The fact that Damian wasn't planned, asked for or as you put it easy to love isn't an issue because we know Bruce loves his son in spite of all that. We also know that Damian isn't Bruce's 1st child so he's not novice however I do believe that Bruce is doing the best he can based on his abilities. We have also seen him put in time and effort so I cut him some slack.

Bruce is only ever as good as his writers want him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    That's not true at all. Preflashpoint and Rebirth, Bruce took Jason of his own freewill.
    Correct also Tim's adoption was also Bruce's decision. He needed convincing with making Tim Robin so that might be what @ fergus is confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    So Damian is a dick. He inherited it all from Papa.
    If everyone was nice, boy that would make for some boring comics

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    The fact that Damian wasn't planned, asked for or as you put it easy to love isn't an issue because we know Bruce loves his son in spite of all that. We also know that Damian isn't Bruce's 1st child so he's not novice however I do believe that Bruce is doing the best he can based on his abilities. We have also seen him put in time and effort so I cut him some slack.

Bruce is only ever as good as his writers want him to be.
    Actually this was the comment I said a few pages back. That Bruce was doing the best he could and that we needed to cut him so slack.

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Actually this was the comment I said a few pages back. That Bruce was doing the best he could and that we needed to cut him so slack.
    Agree I can't fault a person if they are doing the best they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    If everyone was nice, boy that would make for some boring comics
    Yep.

Incredible Member

Damian doesnt live with bruce anymore

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I have noticed for a long time that Bruce is notably tolerant/indulgent of behavior on Damian's part that would have gotten Dick, Jason, Tim, or Stephanie booted from the Robin role rather rapidly.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Bruce is enabling Damian dickish behaviour through allowing him to be Robin, a title that carries a certain amount of respect among the superhero community that, given his attidute, Damian would be hardpressed to attain by himself. But having him see psychiatrists, train under monks was never an option. Damian isn't a very obedient person. He came to Gotham to work with Batman, he's not gonna turn down the offers to return to the League of Assassins if it makes clear Bruce has myriad other plans for him first. Nor are monks and psychiatrists gonna keep him save when Talia or Ra's are done asking and start takinng.
    Surely it is a workable option if it worked with orion who has become a warrior protecting new genesis despite being the son of darksied and being brought up to be his scion before the treaty and having a dark side which is constantly urging him to give in to his rage and darker passions due to the teachings of new genesis. granted he still has his moments and needs mother box additionally but its relatively nominal when considered with what darseids blood running through his viens could actually mean. He has the potential to become the monarch of the new gods with the technology and might at his diaposal yet he strives to protect the world rather than subjugate it so if it worked such a change in the son of darkseid the ultimate corruption then it should and could work wonders in Damian. Bruce must surely know such masters who ca impart the same teachings to damian. Scott despite being thrown under the chariot wheels as a sacrifice to save new genesis from darkseid and the trial and tribulations he faced as a child on apokolips was able to escape and be a decent happy person who fights for freedom rather than becoming embittered with his fate though he did become embittered with his father.The same can be said of barda who grew tired of the bloodshed and evil carried out in darkseids name and escaped with Scott despite her brutal indoctrination in furies. Damian could also be similarly inspired if Bruce makes a constant and sustained effort.
    The Self is the only existing reality

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Correct also Tim's adoption was also Bruce's decision. He needed convincing with making Tim Robin so that might be what @ fergus is confusing.
    Bruce got damned CREEPY about Tim (I believe it was "War Games" where Bruce was acting out because Tim stepped down for awhile), and he'll probably be just as possessive over Duke (if Snyder's determination to set Duke in Bat-Stone is as rabid as I think it is). His situation, though, is (or should be) different from from the pack of orphans he's picked up over the years because Damian is his own flesh and blood, a child who carries his genes and his family name, who WILL inherit the mantle. He might cut the kid a little slack (like letting a 10-13 year-old live on his own), but until DC vomits up that INEVITABLE story (and you KNOW we'll get it eventually) where Bruce reveals he isn't Damian's real father and has been sitting on the DNA reveal all these years--he's a single dad trying to raise his kid.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Surely it is a workable option if it worked with orion who has become a warrior protecting new genesis despite being the son of darksied and being brought up to be his scion before the treaty and having a dark side which is constantly urging him to give in to his rage and darker passions due to the teachings of new genesis. granted he still has his moments and needs mother box additionally but its relatively nominal when considered with what darseids blood running through his viens could actually mean. He has the potential to become the monarch of the new gods with the technology and might at his diaposal yet he strives to protect the world rather than subjugate it so if it worked such a change in the son of darkseid the ultimate corruption then it should and could work wonders in Damian. Bruce must surely know such masters who ca impart the same teachings to damian. Scott despite being thrown under the chariot wheels as a sacrifice to save new genesis from darkseid and the trial and tribulations he faced as a child on apokolips was able to escape and be a decent happy person who fights for freedom rather than becoming embittered with his fate though he did become embittered with his father.The same can be said of barda who grew tired of the bloodshed and evil carried out in darkseids name and escaped with Scott despite her brutal indoctrination in furies. Damian could also be similarly inspired if Bruce makes a constant and sustained effort.
    I'm sorry but are you under the impression that Damian is about to go bad.or something? Damian doesn't need anything like that. Damian isn't corrupt. He is a hero who has given his life to save others and the world. He might be rude, socially immature and pompous but that isn't usual especially for a teenager.

And as for the Robin Mantle Damian has earned that multiple times and then some There is nothing that says that Robin has to be polite. Dick, Bruce, Jason and Tim are the ones who know whatever code Robin abides by and they are fine with Damian caring that mantle.
    Heroes like Superman have that much confidence in Damian that he trusted his son to roam unsupervised under Damian. If those guys believe he is worthy then he is.
    Last edited by dietrich; 08-08-2017 at 11:53 PM.