Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Twenty years from now, how do you think people will perceive The New 52?

Twenty years from now, what will be the popular consensus on The New Fifty Two reboot?

Forgotten and hopefully never revisited.

I think some stories will be remembered, others forgotten. That seems to be the way these things work.

Like every other era. Some great stories will last, many will be forgotten.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, Invincible, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Nightwing, Titans, Daredevil, Royals, Secret Warriors, Black Bolt, Black Panther, Archie, Ninjak, War Mother, XO Manowar.

A haphazard reboot with mixed results.

20 years, that is at least what...2 more Universe Reboots?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A great idea that was sadly squandered.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Quoted for truth!!!
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

DC Pulls - Action Comics; Batman; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Superman; Wonder Woman

Marvel Pulls - Captain America: Steve Rogers; The Mighty Thor

Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Twenty years from now, what will be the popular consensus on The New Fifty Two reboot?
    I think people will see it as DC's attempt at a line-wide Ultimate DC. Some stories will be remebered but most will be forgotten I think.

Which stories do you guys think will stick as classics? I'm thinking Azzarello's Wonder Woman and Snyder's Batman for sure. I'm a huge fan of Lemire's Green Arrow, but I'm not sure how well received that was overall.

Mighty Member

I think it will also depend on how much, if anything, from the New 52 carries forward - something we'll only get an inkling of when Doomsday Clock is completed.

If there is significant New 52 influence on the DCU going forward, then I think it can be viewed as a reboot on par with COIE which changed the DCU forever, even if the DCU gradually returned to a large extent to its original state.

If there is hardly any New 52 influence on the DCU moving forward, then it'll be remembered as a reboot that ultimately failed and was undone, with a few good ideas surviving.

Fantastic Member

It's hard to say. I want to say it would be the equivalent to Marvel's Heroes Reborn as an embarrassment of a reboot.....But the New 52 had a good amount of quality titles to not make it as bad.

There will be stories will be fondly remembered, but the overall initiative, will be remembered negatively, and an example of either how not-to-do a reboot or why universal hard reboots are just bad ideas in general for big comic book universes.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 08-06-2017 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    QFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Nope.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

"Don't we at the very least deserve the right to exist?" - Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality

Astonishing Member

There will be so many reboots in the next 20 years that nobody will remember this one.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I dunno about great, but it was certainly an effective idea in the short term. The squandering was emphasizing "grim and gritty" over good storytelling (yes, that's really simplified) that meant there wasn't a strong enough loyalty to the n52 brand to keep the titles as strong as when they launched.

Also, it was a bit too flood-the-shelves.

I really don't think it will be forgotten - it was too disruptive, and lasted for too long to really be forgotten. Unless Rebirth completely resets it all, I think its legacy will live on.

The real question is will Rebirth be remembered in 20 years?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews