Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I'm not very familiar with the storyline here, but it was one of the times that Xmen and Inhumans could get along and had shared interests of a sort. Lorna is/was/(may yet again be?) Crystal's sister in law.
    War of Kings was written 9 years ago when they were promoting the Inhumans, but as a parallel franchise instead of a replacement to the X-Men franchise.

As it being a sign that the X-Men and Inhumans can get along? Yes, it was, but those scenes are also a sign of why they can't get along now as corporate made a mockery of all of it while cutting the only direct X-Men/Inhuman family ties when they were fully cutting the x-line off from the rest of Marvel.

As for 'may yet again be'... yes they might be and I think will be again when certain Marvel businessmen come to terms that the X-Men can't be replaced.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-09-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    I don't really understand The Game of Thrones comparison, to be honest - is it just because they're a royal family?

Game of Thrones - or the books from which it is derived - is what it is not because it features a bunch of aristocrats, but because it is an insanely detailed created world which is brilliantly plotted, and has been principally the brainchild/under the creative control of one person. It's very unlike a Marvel comics creation, with its frequent change in creative input and its retcons in plot, characterisation, and backstory.

From recollection, because I'll admit I haven't read the franchise recently, it's not as if Triton, Karnak, Gorgon, Medusa lead their own factions/ spend their time pushing their own agenda/plots. There's Maximus, but he was conceived as a Loki-style sibling and all round bad dude.
    Because the Inhumans revolve around politics, even their original stories revolved around political power being stolen (usually by Maximus). Describing the series as Game of Thrones with powers is perfectly apt.

The political aspects of the Inhuman royal family have been streamlined a lot recently in their big push by Marvel, but it seems Once and Future Kings is bringing it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Err, the way Marvel comics are created or not has like no relevancy on the comparisons. People compare any and everything about a superpowered race discovering their powers or a school of superpowered kids to the X-Men for example, it's a generic but valid comparison. The GOT/Inhumans comparison is because of how the Inhumans stories are build around people from a certain kingdom, who happens to be a fictional unieque one with lots of particularities and it's own culture, and the people ruling it(specially cause BB and Medusa are pretty ruthless sometimes lol). It's quite simple and not that deep.
    But by that comparison - isolated Kingdom, ruthless ruler, unique setting, conspiring villain - Asgard is a bit like Game of Thrones as well.

If the comparison is that superficial, does it have any validity? So Black Bolt is ruthless, and Maximus is a conspiring douche? That's any fictional (or for that matter real ) kingdom in any reality everywhere.

Besides which, Westeros is inhabited by humans, yeah there are dragons, but is essentially a fantasy medieval setting, which (among other things) GRRM has used to explore ideas relating to medieval warfare and the nature of rulership. It's not a monarchical Shangri-La filled with people with superpowers.

It just strikes me that Game of Thrones keeps on getting mentioned because it's very hot right now, but it doesn't bear much relation to Kirby's creation of a hidden kingdom filled with people with strange powers, and certainly little relation to the more recent push. It's fine as an aspiration for what the series might be, but as a description of what the franchise essentially is? Not so much.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    People compare any and everything about a superpowered race discovering their powers or a school of superpowered kids to the X-Men for example, it's a generic but valid comparison.
    What's quite different is that most mutants are born human, with no expectation of becoming mutants, and when they do, it's a massive disruption and they could (and usually do) lose family connections, jobs, friends, homes, etc. as a result. Most traditional Inhumans (before this NuHuman business) are born in Attilan, or a similar Inhuman 'hidden city,' and grow up surrounded by adults who've already undergone Terrigenesis, and know from the outset that they too are going to undergo Terrigenesis, eventually, and become something trans-human. Many look forward to it (others do not, some are disappointed with their new Inhuman appearance, or the random nature of any powers they might gain) and they don't lose family, status, homes, etc. based on the transformation, as they live in a society that embraces the change, and, indeed, considers them full citizens *after* the change.

It's quite different, and also quite unusual (and off-putting to 21st century societies) with it's history of arranged marriages, a slave caste and forced Terrigenesis even of people who didn't want to undergo Terrigenesis (which could turn someone into a convenience for other Inhumans, and essentially destroy your life, like the dude who got turned into a portal, or the dude who got turned into an engine!). There's some scary, dystopian stuff going on there, and it seems to have been much, much worse, under 'the Unspoken' (and in previous regimes), than it has been under Black Bolt.

I'd love more Game of Thrones-esque intrigue, 'though. Surely, in the city or wider Inhuman community, there are those who preferred the 'stability and security' of life under the Unspoken, when everyone knew their place, and Attilan didn't get relocated every couple of years, across the planet, to the moon, to Hala, blown up, blown up again... Given the nature of the closed society, with each pair of parents necessarily required to produce 2-ish children to keep the population stable, the Unspoken had to have a sibling, his wife had to have a sibling, and either couple should have had two children. Where are these Inhumans? They would be a built-in nucleus of dissent, if someone like Maximus wanted to stir up resentment against Black Bolt, but we haven't really seen much of them.

The idea of the Unspoken's aged ex-wife, lingering around like Olenna Tyrell, scheming schemes, too politically connected to exile (and perhaps old and frail, dependent on Attilan's superior medical technology, so that exile would effectively be a death-sentence), being a thorn in the current ruling family's sides could be kind of cool. Black Bolt and Medusa aren't *monsters,* so they might not being comfortable just assassinating the old biddy (and she might have some useful resources, or connections, or even some useful advice, when she's properly 'respected' and motivated to share it, or someone scratches her back and gives her some political concession...). Politics makes strange bedfellows, they say, and every government is a coalition of interests that don't necessarily agree on much else than 'better us in charge, then them!'

Maximus' old allies could also be mined for connections. Timberius was one of a few plant-DNA created Inhumans. Stallior was one of three different 'centaur' Inhumans we've seen.

Was the Unspoken allowing the Genetics Council to create *stable* Inhumans, such as the bird-men who made the Red Raven's wings, or these plant DNA Inhumans, or perhaps even an entire *family* of these centaur Inhumans (two of the three shown were brothers, and what exactly are the odds that two people would roll the Terrigenesis die and come up with the exact same mutation? Blackagar and Maximus sure didn't. Neither did Crystal and Medusa, or Karnak and Triton...). If the Unspoken allowed that sort of shenanigans, defying centuries of Inhuman tradition and certain families that supported him to precisely control the Terrigenesis results of their children, a popular revolt against him makes sense, and that some of those families, denied the special access they were getting from the Unspoken, would be easy to stir up to oppose Black Bolt's reign. If everyone in your family was a centaur, and you had reliably anticipated being a centaur like them, and Black Bolt overthrew the old King and (via proxy) said, 'No, you guys don't get to cheat anymore, you roll the dice like the rest of us' and you end up a hivemind swarm of bugs or a molten glob of sentient taffy, I could see you *hating* Black Bolt and his royal family, and longing for the 'good old days.'

There's a lot of potential to 'GoT' the story up by focusing on factions of Inhumans who aren't fans of the current regime, and who might (rightly!) point out that Attilan lasted for thousands of years before Black Bolt took over, but all of a sudden, it keeps getting relocated and blown up, as if, he kind of sucks at being their King...

This is an awesome and well-thought out post. There are a lot of ways to look at and work with the Inhumans. Though I knew them from the beginning, sorta, their more recents escapades, Kree/Kings/Vulcan etc storys are not as well known to me.

But they've always had these dynamics. I remember a story in FF, in the '70s, that took on the idea of the Alphas as this slave caste. Those stories still have relevance and can even have sequels or points of departure. You're right, what about the Unspoken's possible relatives.

In fact there were / are any number of unresolved (to me, maybe?) plots. The idea about the Inhuman DNA stabilizing to created Bird People and Centaur people merits more history, prequels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaLantern View Post
    I never got the comparisons to X-men either. They always felt like Game of Thrones mixed with superhero shenanigans. Also putting themselves in isolation again would be very regressive for them.
    Ever since the T-Bomb created a roaming cloud of terrigen mists, people randomly become inhumans similar to how mutants first manifest their powers, albeit with a cocoon as a defining feature (see Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan and Predictor/Ulysses Cain). The themes of being outcasts from the rest of human society feels like it's trying to be X-Men. I like the idea of Inhumans being more in line with royal intrigue and politics, that makes sense. Definitely hard to pull that off on Earth. War of Kings was fun...
    Currently Reading:
    MARVEL - Infamous Iron Man, Secret Empire, Renew Your Vows, Guardians of the Galaxy
    DC - Red Hood and the Outlaws, Mister Miracle
    Dark Horse - Hellboy/BPRD
    Other

Quote Originally Posted by Vault View Post
    Ever since the T-Bomb created a roaming cloud of terrigen mists, people randomly become inhumans similar to how mutants first manifest their powers, albeit with a cocoon as a defining feature (see Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan and Predictor/Ulysses Cain). The themes of being outcasts from the rest of human society feels like it's trying to be X-Men. I like the idea of Inhumans being more in line with royal intrigue and politics, that makes sense. Definitely hard to pull that off on Earth. War of Kings was fun...
    I feel like they could really do well with the political stuff using the t-bomb and its after effects, especially things like negotiating over new attilan's placement or the soveignty of inhumans of other natons as Attilan claims them as it's citizens the second they go through terrigenesis.

All-New Inhumans showed a lot of this political intrigue it just lacked the cast draw, it ideally needs to be headlined by Medusa not Crystal and Gordon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    It's not really at all like the X-Men. It's a weird sci-fi royalty drama. If you're looking at it and expecting it to look like the X-Men, you're missing the point.
    Think Game of Thrones in Spandex.

Astonishing Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

If people are curious about what the Inhumans are, check out the new Once and Future King by Priest and Noto.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    If people are curious about what the Inhumans are, check out the new Once and Future King by Priest and Noto.
    I am looking forward to that book (#1 just came out, right?) and even if that's lacking... it comes with a short story following Lockjaw by Ryan North, which is bound to be great!

Speaking of Lockjaw, I think his the one who is going to get the most out of the Inhuman show/push in the end. I mean, his a giant dog who teleports. Whats not to love? Plus, is he an animal with Inhuman DNA or a turned Inhuman? Who knows!
    Marvel: - The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Hulk, The Mighty Captain Marvel, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain America: Steve Rodgers, Old Man Logan, The Mighty Thor, All-New Wolverine, Gwenpool, Black Panther, The Ultimates2, Champions.

DC: -
    Super-Girl, Batwoman

Image: -
    Paper Girls.

My Comics Review Blog!

Astonishing Member

Who wouldn't love a two-ton bulldog?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Who wouldn't love a two-ton bulldog?
    The person who has to clean up after him after he goes walkies. A pooper-scooper wouldn't cut it, you'd need a snow shovel...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The person who has to clean up after him after he goes walkies.
    Well, Ms Marvel has never complained.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    I feel like they could really do well with the political stuff using the t-bomb and its after effects, especially things like negotiating over new attilan's placement or the soveignty of inhumans of other natons as Attilan claims them as it's citizens the second they go through terrigenesis.

All-New Inhumans showed a lot of this political intrigue it just lacked the cast draw, it ideally needs to be headlined by Medusa not Crystal and Gordon.
    I actually think Crystal headlining this was brilliant, especially after her role in war of kings. The problem was, no one had Seen Crystal sinc then, so the mistake was suddenly shoving her in the line light after a long absence. I think if she had been built up in Inhumans or something it would have been different. Crystal is a total badass. I wish she was written so people could actually see that.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast - Episode 28 is live! It it Adam and Doc discuss Episode 3 of ABC's Inhumans!
    Pull List: Royals, Secret Warriors, Black Bolt, Inhumans:
    Once and Future Kings, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Spider-Gwen, The Mighty Captain Marvel, Jessica Jones, Hawkeye, She(?)-Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    I actually think Crystal headlining this was brilliant, especially after her role in war of kings. The problem was, no one had Seen Crystal sinc then, so the mistake was suddenly shoving her in the line light after a long absence. I think if she had been built up in Inhumans or something it would have been different. Crystal is a total badass. I wish she was written so people could actually see that.
    Oh it's not shade at Crystal as a character, just that as you say she lacked the presence and star power to headline a book like that.