Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,056

    Default Welling admits he stopped the suit from appearing on Smallville

    I don't know how many people still care about this after five years but Tom Welling did an interview where he admits that it was his idea not to be shown in the costume until the very end:

    http://www.cbr.com/smallville-tom-we...superman-suit/

    I guess the original plan was to have him appear halfway through the last episode as Superman but Welling himself nixed that idea.
    Jokerize those fries!

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,016

    Default

    That show was always like its own Bizarro universe, I can't fault Welling for his creative input for the finale. As much as I disliked the show and like to heap criticism on it, I think it would be shooting itself in the foot even more if they did whatever they did for ten years, and then tried to fit in the Byrne origin.

    As for a whole body shot of Welling in the actual suit, I think it's still up for good debate whether it should've been incorporated. I thought the CGI shots of Superman were pretty lackluster, in part because the show's budget apparently was not particularly friendly for doing those specific effects, so I understand exactly why fans would want to see it done for real and not through CGI. On the other hand, I can also understand the rationalization that it doesn't really add anything narrative-wise to have that shot, either.

  3. #3
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    2,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't know how many people still care about this after five years but Tom Welling did an interview where he admits that it was his idea not to be shown in the costume until the very end:

    http://www.cbr.com/smallville-tom-we...superman-suit/

    I guess the original plan was to have him appear halfway through the last episode as Superman but Welling himself nixed that idea.

    Thank you for posting this.

    After 6 long years, I finally feel totally vindicated on this matter.

    I always knew (well, suspected really) that Welling himself was a big factor in why the viewers were denied that particular payoff in the otherwise great finale in 2011. And now we have the confirmation straight from the horse's mouth.

    Shame on you, Tom Welling. 10 seasons of waiting, and you were the one who kept us from seeing you in an actual supersuit all along. In the end, it was you who screwed up the landing on that 10-year "flight".

    Closure feels good

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member misslane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    That show was always like its own Bizarro universe, I can't fault Welling for his creative input for the finale. As much as I disliked the show and like to heap criticism on it, I think it would be shooting itself in the foot even more if they did whatever they did for ten years, and then tried to fit in the Byrne origin.

    As for a whole body shot of Welling in the actual suit, I think it's still up for good debate whether it should've been incorporated. I thought the CGI shots of Superman were pretty lackluster, in part because the show's budget apparently was not particularly friendly for doing those specific effects, so I understand exactly why fans would want to see it done for real and not through CGI. On the other hand, I can also understand the rationalization that it doesn't really add anything narrative-wise to have that shot, either.
    Pretty much how I feel.

    Personally, I don't feel cheated at all. I got to see Clark Kent become Superman, and we still got to have a scene in which he, in costume, saved Lois from a plane just at a better point in the Finale. I admire how much Tom defended the integrity of the show, and I also think he made the right decision not playing Superman on Supergirl. That, to me, would have been a terrible idea that would have oddly melded universes and disrespected Laura Vandervoort in its own way.

    So, kudos to Tom for his sensitivity and dedication!

  5. #5
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    20,251

    Default

    Well, there's still always my imagination .

  6. #6
    Mad scientist Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    12,082

    Default

    I didn't even watch it after season 2 (for whatever reason they stopped broadcasting it over here) and I feel a bit cheated.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member Hawkgirl70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    SE Missouri, USA
    Posts
    371

    Default

    I watched all 10 seasons as it aired.
    Lex was by far the BEST actor/character on the show. A+
    But after a couple seasons, I got tired real fast of the "freak of the week." Also did not like the girl cast as Lana. Too whiny and just blah.
    Kept telling myself to hang in there, it will get better.
    It did get a lot better when they brought on Lois and Ollie but still was never satisfied.
    I WANTED SUPERMAN TO APPEAR IN COSTUME, not Clark week after week in his blue jeans and red shirt or jacket.
    It could have been so much better.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,198

    Default

    I watched the finale when it aired, but didn't actually binge the series till a few years later. Don't really feel like the suit was ever needed imo and was fine that it didn't show up till the very end, but then again I wasn't a loyal viewer of the show for 10 years and knew what to expect, so obviously others have a different opinion.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 08-09-2017 at 02:10 PM.

  9. #9
    Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,115

    Default

    I didn't have much of an issue with just teasing it. His reasoning seems a little odd to me, though. In that he says the show didn't earn it. I mean, it was on for ten years building it up, it definitely earned it if they wanted to do it.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I didn't even watch it after season 2 (for whatever reason they stopped broadcasting it over here) and I feel a bit cheated.
    It had it's ups and downs. There was a real lull in the middle. Especially around season four. By the later seasons, you could tell that they were dragging out the whole Superman thing. It actually got better in the later seasons because they started introducing other DC characters that have never had live action appearances. Like Green Arrow, Aquaman, the JSA, the Legion, Zattanna, etc. I actually think they did a better JSA than LOT.
    Jokerize those fries!

  11. #11
    Incredible Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Frankly, they should've brought in the cape and the name "Superman" around the time the show started being about Clark Kent working for the Daily Planet in Metropolis and moonlighting as a covert super-hero.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

  12. #12
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    881

    Default

    After a little thought I agree with Welling that the show hadn't earned it. The decision to go with "no flights, no tights" only for Clark and to keep to that rule for 10 years would have made it less meaningful. Superheroes existed already- The Blur for powers, Ollie Queen for the costumes and other tropes. Clark coming out of the shadows just felt underwhelming- especially as he'd been operating as the Blur not Superman prior.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member misslane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    After a little thought I agree with Welling that the show hadn't earned it. The decision to go with "no flights, no tights" only for Clark and to keep to that rule for 10 years would have made it less meaningful. Superheroes existed already- The Blur for powers, Ollie Queen for the costumes and other tropes. Clark coming out of the shadows just felt underwhelming- especially as he'd been operating as the Blur not Superman prior.
    Those other heroes didn't have to live up to everything Superman is meant to be. When Superman puts on the suit, it has to mean something MORE. Superman doesn't just become Superman because it's trendy. He does it because he is ready and able to accept a role as an unmasked savior and symbol to the world. The other heroes, even the ones in costume, weren't that, and he had to be better because his debut would help the others become more accepted.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Those other heroes didn't have to live up to everything Superman is meant to be. When Superman puts on the suit, it has to mean something MORE. Superman doesn't just become Superman because it's trendy. He does it because he is ready and able to accept a role as an unmasked savior and symbol to the world. The other heroes, even the ones in costume, weren't that, and he had to be better because his debut would help the others become more accepted.
    I disagree. A lot of the Golden Age involved stories where Superman took deliberate steps to keep his existence out of the public eye and cultivated himself as an urban legend. That's basically exactly what Clark was doing on Smallville for the last few seasons, except that his costumes weren't "super" enough and the show refused to admit that he'd long since ceased to be "Superman in-process". He was Superman. Should've worn the costume and used the name long before the show ended, and the fact that they didn't even manage it at the very end was ludicrous.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

  15. #15
    (formerly "Superman") JAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't know how many people still care about this after five years but Tom Welling did an interview where he admits that it was his idea not to be shown in the costume until the very end:

    http://www.cbr.com/smallville-tom-we...superman-suit/

    I guess the original plan was to have him appear halfway through the last episode as Superman but Welling himself nixed that idea.

    Not surprising. Pretty much everybody from Smallville who went to the Superman Celebration said the same. It was on him. it was definitely a cheat - after that long of a time, just put on the damn suit. lol

    Oh, well. On to bigger and better things, as it were. Amazingly (ironically?), for as long as it ran, Smallville (and Superman Returns, actually) don't get talked about a whole lot outside of Superman circles anymore.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •