Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If Disney pulls Marvel shows from Netflix will the shows change?

I was afraid that when Disney bought Marvel Studios they would handcuff the studio and prevent them from making movies the tone of the Netflix tv shows such as Daredevil and Jessica Jones. If Disney pulls the Netflix shows and airs them on their own streaming service instead, how do you think this bodes for Daredevil and co.?

I wonder if these shows will undergo major changes and become very lame, even Agents of Shield level lame.
    "But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you... And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye?..."

FAVES: A-ko (Project A-ko), Rogue, Cassandra Cain, Supergirl (New 52), Power Girl (Kara Zor-El), She-Hulk, Spider-Gwen, Squirrel Girl, Jessica Cruz, Silk, Cassandra Lang

Spectacular Member

That seems like a weird fear given that they've never made a movie like their Netflix stuff, and the Netflix stuff wasn't even an idea until after Disney bought them.

I wouldn't imagine a Disney streaming service even having the Disney name in it, probably call it like Busna Vista Vision or something...or Touchstone. If they're going to really go after Netflix, and they could, I wouldn't count on the service having the Disney name and so it wouldn't matter. Now, if it does have the Disney name then it's probably just gonna be like old Disney channel like back when they were basically a Disney HBO; in which case I wouldn't even worry about the Netflix shows moving over there.

Maybe they move over to ABC or something, but there's really nothing they do you can't do on network tv.

when will this start? I mean when will DD and the others dissapear from netflix?

Quote Originally Posted by darthjoker View Post
    when will this start? I mean when will DD and the others dissapear from netflix?
    They wont right? Maybe disney doesnt sign a new contract for a new round of shows but the inks dry in the ones already made and in production. I would assume Netflix owns these shows to some degree. I remember them saying Disney needs Netflix permission for those charatcers to appear in Infinity war. That and salarys since therw contracts dont include movied were the obstacles they kept mentioning. i really believe Netflix owns these shows as much as Disney. Plus every Marvel movie up till Antman and wasp will still be part of the deal. I think it ends 2019. So no time soon

Edit: by those character i mean charlie coxs version of Daredevil. Clearly disney still owns the charatcer but i think netflix has a hold of this adaption of him.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-09-2017 at 10:28 PM.

if Disney can pull the shows and does then Netflix-verse is dead.

Cause then the shows will likely be a full Disney production and they will do it the Disney way.

Doesn't Netflix have the titles till 2019? But yeah. If they go with the actual Disney Name for the Service, I can't see them keeping the "Dark & Gritty" Tone for their Marvel Shows. I can see the pulling another Spectacular Spider-Man /Avengers:Earth Mightiest Heroes going Ultimate Spider-man/Avengers Assemble type changes going on tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Doesn't Netflix have the titles till 2019? But yeah. If they go with the actual Disney Name for the Service, I can't see them keeping the "Dark & Gritty" Tone for their Marvel Shows. I can see the pulling another Spectacular Spider-Man /Avengers:Earth Mightiest Heroes going Ultimate Spider-man/Avengers Assemble type changes going on tho...
    Yes through 2018. Movies all the way up to antman and wasp and infinity war will end up on netflix.

Disney can pull out and not make anymore shows with netflix but Netflix owns as much of those Marvel shows as Disney its a joint venture. Disney cant keep making them without netflix and netflix cant keep making them without disney. If disney pulls that contract then only shows already agreed to will be allowed to film. Iono if DD 3 or seasons 2 of any other show was already agreed upon. If not Punisher might be the last show we get.

Though these shows are so popular hopefuly disney would put an end to them just to stick it too netflix. If disney wants to continue without netflix they have to start from scratch or just pursue different characters
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-09-2017 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yes through 2018. Movies all the way up to antman and wasp and infinity war will end up on netflix.

Disney can pull out and not make anymore shows with netflix but Netflix owns as much of those Marvel shows as Disney its a joint venture. Disney cant keep making them without netflix and netflix cant keep making them without disney. If disney pulls that contract then only shows already agreed to will be allowed to film. Iono if DD 3 or seasons 2 of any other show was already agreed upon. If not Punisher might be the last show we get.

Though these shows are so popular hopefuly disney would put an end to them just to stick it too netflix. Of disney wants to continue with netflix they have to start from scratch or just pursue different characters
    i bet Disney pulls the plug on DD LC JJ IF DEFN and ends up rebooting all the netflix shows for ther streaming service.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    i bet Disney pulls the plug on DD LC JJ IF DEFN and ends up rebooting all the netflix shows for ther streaming service.
    Its possible and that would be the way they would have to go. The actors have contracts with netflix i believe not Disney. So they would probaly have to recast Nd why wouldnt you anyway. Reboot with the same actors would be confusing.

Nevermind upon doing some research cox has said hes under contract to appear in MCU movies. So his deal must be with marvel and not netflix. Either way netflix co owns his version of daredevil so they couldnt just soft reboot it without Netflix
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-10-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The netflix shows are staying.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disn...-services.html
    Netflix said Disney movies will be available through the end of 2018 on its platform. Marvel TV shows will remain.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I remember them saying Disney needs Netflix permission for those charatcers to appear in Infinity war. That and salarys since therw contracts dont include movied were the obstacles they kept mentioning.
    According to Cox appearing in films is in his contract
    http://www.close-upfilm.com/2015/04/...f-comic-books/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    the shows already filmed are staying but after 2018 i doubt we are going to see new seasons of marvel shows on netflix....

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    According to Cox appearing in films is in his contract
    http://www.close-upfilm.com/2015/04/...f-comic-books/
    Read some other stuff too your right they dont need Netflix permission its already in the actors contract.
    They would still have to work out compensation for each actor though. Which for a glorified cameo wouldnt be hard.

But according to Ike these shows spend 8monthe in production where it would be hard to work around the actors schedules and they dont want a movie planned 2yrs in advance handcuffing a fast moving tv show. First part sounds like BS and the second part is fair except a glorified cameo would only mean you cant kill the character before the movie comes out or disfigure him or her.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

So if Marvel begins their own service, wouldn't they have a really hard time getting all their shows back?

The Netflix shows are co-owned by both companies, so I don't know if there's something in the contract that says they both can stream them or if it's Netflix exclusively.

But then there's all the others shows like Runaways on Hulu.

I do hope Marvel and Disney had the forethought to put clauses in their contracts saying if they got their own service, they'd have the right to stream that content as well as their partner company doing production.

-

In terms of tone, I don't think Disney would tone down shows I think they'd just have a tiered system where things like Netflix shows would be age-gated. The success of the Netflix shows has been their adult themes and great production value, even Disney aren't dumb enough to change the core principals of a winning formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I was afraid that when Disney bought Marvel Studios they would handcuff the studio and prevent them from making movies the tone of the Netflix tv shows such as Daredevil and Jessica Jones. If Disney pulls the Netflix shows and airs them on their own streaming service instead, how do you think this bodes for Daredevil and co.?

I wonder if these shows will undergo major changes and become very lame, even Agents of Shield level lame.
    I do not see why there would be even very small changes to the shows. Netflix makes them exactly the way Marvel Studios wants them to be.

Also, Agents Of SHIELD? Turned into of the best superhero-related show on tv, easily on par with most of the Netflix ones, and better than anything the CW is doing.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?