View Poll Results: Who is the responsible adult among the six Terran GLs?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan

8 8.16%
  • Guy Gardner

2 2.04%
  • John Stewart

82 83.67%
  • Kyle Rayner

4 4.08%
  • Jessica Cruz

2 2.04%
  • Simon Baz

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Yeah, this bit always bothered me. Not that Alan Scott wasn't retroactively selected by the Guardians, but that he remains so divorced from the franchise that he founded. He should be the "head" of the Lanternverse, and he is not.

And you need to look no further than DC's OTHER major mantle-passing solo superhero franchise to see how it could be done right.

Jay Garrick, whether as part of clutter-Earth or Earth-2, almost always felt like he naturally belonged to the Flashverse. Jay feels kinda like the grandpa who let his "son"/ the "dad" (Barry) take over the family business. Of course, Barry died, Wally took over, but then Barry resurrected / came out of retirement and his presence demoted/erased Wally's very existence ... actually the metaphor falls apart here.

By comparison, Alan feels more like the deadbeat that left Hal with his moniker and nothing more, and Hal built an empire despite Alan's existence.

Not sure if Rebirth changed any of that.

If there was a way to more fully incorporate Alan Scott into the Lanternverse, I'd be all for it.

Oh, and I voted John Stewart, btw.
    The origin of the powers of Alan set him apartfrom the main GL franchise.And Jay fit better in the Flash family.
    On the other way Alan had offprings and Jay didn't.
    #Dr.Wertham would be proud of you.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Imo, Hal's a good leader to follow into battle, but he's not the "stand over the Big Map" kinda leader or the "day-to-day" leader.
    My thoughts exactly. John is the tactician, Hal is the tip of the spear, the battlefield commander.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

As I see it, it's changed from era to era. During the Silver Age and the first part of the Bronze Age, it was Hal by default. Since the Modern Age of Comics started around the time of COIE, it's pretty much been John, though I could see Kyle filling the role too (though not as well as John).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It's definitely John.

I like Guy and Kyle a lot. And they're both relatively stable adults. But Guy is like that fun bachelor uncle you like to drink with, and Kyle's the college friend who never quite left that head-space.

Hal.....he's been a frat boy for over a decade now, ever since he returned from the dead. I wouldn't trust that guy with a debit card, much less let him be responsible for anyone else's welfare. Back in the day? That'd have been a little different, but authority and leadership never seemed to sit right with him. It felt, to me at least, like those things weighed him down, rather than lifting him up and letting him really be who he was.

Simon seems like a pretty decent guy but I haven't seen enough of him to really be able to judge. And Jessica just seems like a big pile of issues, so she's out too.

John can be an ass, and when he screws up he does so in a big way. But he's the guy I'd trust the most.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

As a non-expert on Green Lantern stuff, I'll say John. He's the most stable from what I've seen.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I voted for John, but I still think people don't give Guy enough credit.
    The character has grown a great deal from the brain damaged idiot of the 80's & early 90's.
    I think everyone writing the character now should give a big thank you to Beau Smith for making a purse from a sow's ear when he was in charge of the 'Warrior' era.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"

Astonishing Member

I voted John. As stated previously here, John has been stable & mature since the 1980s. Hal, with Arisia in tow, had to shack up with John & Kat back in the 1980s.

That would make a great sitcom: two Earth guys in relationships with alien women.

Speaking of Guy, has his brain damage/untreated concussions ever been retconned?

Given what we now know of head injuries many athletes suffer, I think Guy probably deserves a bit more sympathy now.

If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I voted for John, but I still think people don't give Guy enough credit.
    The character has grown a great deal from the brain damaged idiot of the 80's & early 90's.
    I think everyone writing the character now should give a big thank you to Beau Smith for making a purse from a sow's ear when he was in charge of the 'Warrior' era.
    I do recognize Guy evolution, but he's still too much of a hothead to be considered "responsible". (As am I. :P )
    Conner Kent flies. Connor Hawke has a bow. Get it right, people!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Among the six humans from Earth that the Guardians selected to be the Green Lantern of Sector 2814, which one is most consistently the responsible adult of the group? By that, I mean the one most likely to do things properly, with good judgment and common sense.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    ...Quite frankly, this feels like a loaded question. Namely, because one could say that all of them do, depending on the situation, or that none of them do, also depending on the situation.

In the end, it likely just boils down to a popularity contest under a different name. I'm curious as to your point behind this thread.

I suppose the closest to meet your criteria would be John Stewart, and sometimes even then...

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    ...Quite frankly, this feels like a loaded question. Namely, because one could say that all of them do, depending on the situation, or that none of them do, also depending on the situation.

In the end, it likely just boils down to a popularity contest under a different name. I'm curious as to your point behind this thread.

I suppose the closest to meet your criteria would be John Stewart, and sometimes even then...
    I don't think it comes down to a popularity contest as far as this is concerned, at least judging by the responses and the fact that none of the other Lanterns even come close in the poll.

Even fans of the other Lanterns seem to agree that John is probably or generally the most levelheaded of the Earth Lanterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it comes down to a popularity contest as far as this is concerned, at least judging by the responses and the fact that none of the other Lanterns even come close in the poll.

Even fans of the other Lanterns seem to agree that John is probably or generally the most levelheaded of the Earth Lanterns.
    Absolutely. I'm a huge fan of Hal's by far, but if we're talking "most responsible adult" I can admit that's not him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Fair enough.

It still felt leading on the outset for me, though, but it seems innocent enough at this point.

That said, I'll still say that it could be interpreted as all or none depending on the circumstances, with John averaging out the most consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I do recognize Guy evolution, but he's still too much of a hothead to be considered "responsible". (As am I. :P )
    Well, it wasn't that long ago he was hunting Red Lantern energy with an infant in tow.

Guy has become my favorite Lantern (sorry, Kyle and John) but he's not that responsible. He's not the moron he was twenty-thirty years ago, but he's not exactly Mr. Dependable.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

Spectacular Member

John as felt to me like he had the Principle authority. Commanding everyone.
    While Kyle was the cool teacher. everything was lax and easygoing but there was underlining order to it
    Guy is best Gym Teacher with dodgeball, football and hockey all the time and as long as you wern't causing issues he wasn't yelling. If anything went down he would handle it with ease.
    And Hal is the fun uncle. You want to go hang out with him and while your young he can handle and be responsible but the older you get the more he slips. So its beers and monster trucks at 18.

Simon and Jess are both working towards their niche still.

Kingdom Come Board Original Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The results of the poll are so hilariously one-sided...but totally accurate. John really is the only adult in the room when it comes to Earth's GLs.