Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Defenders #4 (Revew/SPOILERS

Bendis and Marquez continue to produce comic book gold with Defenders #4.

*****SPOILERS*****

We open with a flashback that shows Diamondback introducing his new drug, I.G.H., to the streets. Black Cat gets a sample and entrusts Hammerhead to find someone to test it. After briefly debating testing it on himself and then thinking better of it (and of himself), he hands it to a guy on his crew and asks him to try it out and report back on it. The guy brings the two pills back to his place where he and his girlfriend each take one. The results are...overwhelming, leaving the girl dead.

Ben Urich is on the scene as the police investigate the girl's death and discover the I.G.H.. He brings his info on this deadly new designer drug back to the Bugle.

We then resume from where #3 left off, with Diamondback dealing a shocking blow to Danny, apparently taking him out of the fight completely. He and Jessica then battle in brutal fashion. But as Diamondback prepares to land his best punch on Jess, Danny is suddenly back on his feet and absolutely destroys Diamondback.

A defeated Diamondback is secured by the police and carted away. At the issue's end, he's put into a high security transport vehicle that already has one high profile passenger...The Punisher.

TO BE CONTINUED!

And oh yeah, we see a glimpse of Elektra lurking in the shadows in this issue as well!

*****END SPOILERS*****

It's always impossible to actually say what the best comic on the stands is at any given time but, boy, so far Bendis and Marquez have been making a strong case every issue that The Defenders deserves that crown. This book is so, so good and it only seems to get better every issue. You can tell that Bendis and Marquez are pouring everything they've got into this. With the art, particularly, I'm just blown away by how Marquez has raised his own game. This is guy who's been good for a while. Very good. But he's taking it to another level here. His depiction of Danny and Diamondback's fight here is just stunning.

And for his part, Bendis is really moving things along by his standards. No wheel spinning here and he's clearly relishing having the entirety of street level Marvel in play.

I can only imagine how much cooler this book is going to get once more elements and more players enter the stage.

In summation, The Defenders kicks ass. If you have any interest in street level Marvel, get on it!
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 08-10-2017 at 05:02 AM.

RELIEVED Bendis didn't let Iron Fist go down so easily, though Diamondback's powers seem incredibly inconsistent. IGH must wear out quick.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 08-10-2017 at 06:25 AM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Mr. Miracle /// MARVEL: Iron Fist, Astonishing X-Men, Defenders, Spirits of Vengeance /// IMAGE: Renato Jones Season 2: Freelancer, Seven to Eternity, God Complex

Upcoming Reading: MARVEL: Gambit & Rogue, Moon Knight, Tales of Suspense, Old Man Hawkeye /// IMAGE: Frontier

Trade Waiting: MARVEL: Black Panther /// IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher /// DYNAMITE: John Wick

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    RELIEVED Bendis didn't let Iron Fist go down so easily, though Diamondback's powers seem incredibly inconsistent. IGH must wear out quick.
    That, and going toe to toe with Jess and Danny in quick succession also can wear you out. I.G.H. can only get you so far!

Mighty Member

Agreed, The Defenders is definitely one of my favorite books at Marvel. I knew that once I saw the book and the creative team that it was going to be gold and I'm glad it was the case. My only criticism is that I wish Luke got some payback on Diamondback as well after inhaling all of that poison but that didn't happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Agreed, The Defenders is definitely one of my favorite books at Marvel. I knew that once I saw the book and the creative team that it was going to be gold and I'm glad it was the case. My only criticism is that I wish Luke got some payback on Diamondback as well after inhaling all of that poison but that didn't happen.
    Well, I'm sure this won't be the last time they run into Diamondback. There'll be another opportunity for Luke to get some payback.

My personal highlight was Robbie and the Bugle getting the spotlight, especially since that's more then what they've had in the Spider-Man books in almost a decade .

It was cool to see Danny and Jess make a quick turnaround on Diamondback but it did feel kind of anti-climactic for a team book.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

This book is really fun, and Marquez's art is gorgeous as always. I love that Jessica's in two books right now!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

Amazing Member

I know, when he came back in the great panel I was so happy. The art is fantastic.

This was definitely the best issue so far but I still involuntarily twtich at the "Bendis-y" dialogue. I don't think it works in this and I think less would be more, especially for this group.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Wow, this was a great issue! I was ticked at first when Danny was down, but then he got back u and kicked some serious butt! So did Jessica though. Please Marvel, keep Marquez on this book as the artist. Next issue looks like it's going to be great too.

And how is this thread not longer?? Come on people, read this book!
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

I am enjoying this series. Danny's rally after getting Baned was fantastic.
    It was only made better with the fact he is really in bad shape and pushed through it.

It would be great if Moonknight or some one else joined the team but so far I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valens View Post
    I know, when he came back in the great panel I was so happy. The art is fantastic.

This was definitely the best issue so far but I still involuntarily twtich at the "Bendis-y" dialogue. I don't think it works in this and I think less would be more, especially for this group.
    I get what you mean about the dialogue. It still reads very Bendis-y but better than his Dark Reign New Avengers at least.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I am enjoying this series. Danny's rally after getting Baned was fantastic.
    It was only made better with the fact he is really in bad shape and pushed through it.

It would be great if Moonknight or some one else joined the team but so far I like it.
    Still not sure I'd want Bendis writing Moon Knight again...
    Currently Reading: DC: Mr. Miracle /// MARVEL: Iron Fist, Astonishing X-Men, Defenders, Spirits of Vengeance /// IMAGE: Renato Jones Season 2: Freelancer, Seven to Eternity, God Complex

Upcoming Reading: MARVEL: Gambit & Rogue, Moon Knight, Tales of Suspense, Old Man Hawkeye /// IMAGE: Frontier

Trade Waiting: MARVEL: Black Panther /// IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher /// DYNAMITE: John Wick

I get what you mean about the dialogue. It still reads very Bendis-y but better than his Dark Reign New Avengers at least.

Still not sure I'd want Bendis writing Moon Knight again...

Does not have to be moon knight 4 just seems to small a number. MK fits but other options would work too. Just no punisher please.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Wow, this was a great issue! I was ticked at first when Danny was down, but then he got back u and kicked some serious butt! So did Jessica though. Please Marvel, keep Marquez on this book as the artist. Next issue looks like it's going to be great too.

And how is this thread not longer?? Come on people, read this book!
    Well, there is a team appreciation thread here: http://community.comicbookresources....ciation/page10

That might be a way to get longer discussions going. I'm here for Jessica, so I mostly talk about the book over in her thread.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

This was pretty bad ass.

Astonishing Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

This was a fun issue. It feels like it's moving a little too quickly, which is odd to say for Bendis. There has to be something more to it than we see currently, though, imo.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?