Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    25,449

    Default

    It's kind of funny reading that Robbie and Ben scene given how much of a contrast it is to all the times Bendis wrote Jonah chewing Ben out .

  2. #17
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I am enjoying this series. Danny's rally after getting Baned was fantastic.
    It was only made better with the fact he is really in bad shape and pushed through it.

    It would be great if Moonknight or some one else joined the team but so far I like it.
    Absolute favorite part of this issue. The beating Iron Fist gave Diamondback was beautiful, beautiful stuff. And it showed to me Danny's toughness. Even after being Bane'd, he still fought off Diamondback. Loved it!

    Also loved the scene where Hammerhead's henchman and his girlfriend experimented with IGH. There was a lot of tension in that scene. Honestly, I was half expecting them to both blow up or mutate into something terrible. It was a unexpected yet pleasant surprise to see them come out okay. Of course, there was tragedy when the girlfriend still ended up dead.

    In any case, I'm really digging this book. IGN gave it a 9.2. I wouldn't say it's that amazing, but it's high up there.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  3. #18
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Huh. It's interesting to see this generating so much buzz and positive feeling. I thought it was ok. By the numbers and full of wasted space. Not terrible by any stretch, but just really generic and bland from a writing standpoint. Though it sure is beautiful!

    Bendis completely undercuts his own ending from the last issue, and although he manages to deliver a rarity, a badass action scene, it feels unearned. Cheap headfake cliffhanger endings aren't good storytelling, they are cheap, manipulative, and wasteful.

    Also, most of this issue is spent on the, thus far, completely irrelevant Hammerhead flashback. Maybe Bendis is going somewhere here. It being Bendis, it will be a dozen issues before that becomes clear. But most of this was padding wasted on characters other than the core team, who still haven't all appeared in a major sequence together yet.

    It's not all bad, certainly. Marquez elevates the material with fantastic pencils. I don't know whether to credit Marquez or Bendis with the fantastic Iron Fist action sequence at the heart of the Diamondback story in this issue. Either way, it is truly a brilliant piece for Danny. And the final beat with Diamondback left me grinning from ear to ear, though that is tempered by the fact that Bendis just proved he's willing to be manipulative with his cliffhangers so it's hard to get too excited.

    The weakest issue of the run so far, on the whole. But still readable.

  4. #19
    Wily Veteran cc008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    9,049

    Default

    You guys really sold me on this. Bought all four issues this morning.

  5. #20
    Niffleheim
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6,160

    Default

    OK now it seems like i'll have to give this a try even though i only like Daredevil and i'm excited by the idea of I.G.H.

  6. #21
    Mighty Member pageturner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Absolute favorite part of this issue. The beating Iron Fist gave Diamondback was beautiful, beautiful stuff. And it showed to me Danny's toughness. Even after being Bane'd, he still fought off Diamondback. Loved it!

    Also loved the scene where Hammerhead's henchman and his girlfriend experimented with IGH. There was a lot of tension in that scene. Honestly, I was half expecting them to both blow up or mutate into something terrible. It was a unexpected yet pleasant surprise to see them come out okay. Of course, there was tragedy when the girlfriend still ended up dead.

    In any case, I'm really digging this book. IGN gave it a 9.2. I wouldn't say it's that amazing, but it's high up there.
    The bit where Hammerhead is tempted to take the IGH was interesting too. I assume that will be circled back around to at some point.

  7. #22
    Junior Member matt levin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    western MA beside the CT River
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Glad this's getting both a lot of support and a lot of well-reasoned criticism. Reading this issue tomorrow night-- will see for myself, then!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Jack Staff, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Rat Queens, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Usagi, Velvet

  8. #23

    Default

    This book is absolute fire!

    It's a feast for the eyes the way Marquez lays it down. The fight scene was gorgeous. And that "fist"! Just beautiful. Diamondback's a beast. This book is flat out fun.

    Looking forward to the next!

  9. #24
    Fantastic Member DragonsChi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Really enjoyed this issue! Glad Bendis turned it around for my boy Iron Fist.

    I know it went unsaid in this issue but I really suspect that Danny used his Chi to heal himself of the apparent back break and then used it to enhance himself physically. How else could he have made such a quick turn around, right?

    I was also really pleased of the use of Hammerhead in this issue. It's good to see a Marvel classic villain get some decent use. Looking forward to what comes next! Fingers crossed for more Luke in the next issue.

  10. #25
    Geek Strong Style Smoov-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Huh. It's interesting to see this generating so much buzz and positive feeling. I thought it was ok. By the numbers and full of wasted space. Not terrible by any stretch, but just really generic and bland from a writing standpoint. Though it sure is beautiful!

    Bendis completely undercuts his own ending from the last issue, and although he manages to deliver a rarity, a badass action scene, it feels unearned. Cheap headfake cliffhanger endings aren't good storytelling, they are cheap, manipulative, and wasteful.

    Also, most of this issue is spent on the, thus far, completely irrelevant Hammerhead flashback. Maybe Bendis is going somewhere here. It being Bendis, it will be a dozen issues before that becomes clear. But most of this was padding wasted on characters other than the core team, who still haven't all appeared in a major sequence together yet.

    It's not all bad, certainly. Marquez elevates the material with fantastic pencils. I don't know whether to credit Marquez or Bendis with the fantastic Iron Fist action sequence at the heart of the Diamondback story in this issue. Either way, it is truly a brilliant piece for Danny. And the final beat with Diamondback left me grinning from ear to ear, though that is tempered by the fact that Bendis just proved he's willing to be manipulative with his cliffhangers so it's hard to get too excited.

    The weakest issue of the run so far, on the whole. But still readable.


    From his time on Spider-Man Marquez has said that Bendis would give him the winner of the fight and tell him to go nuts

  11. #26
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    12,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    You guys really sold me on this. Bought all four issues this morning.
    Issue 4 was the best so far. Just all around crazy good. Hopefully the series continues to get better and better like this.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

    "There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

    "I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

  12. #27
    The Celestial Dragon Tien Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    The bit where Hammerhead is tempted to take the IGH was interesting too. I assume that will be circled back around to at some point.
    Hope so bro. Pretty cool to see Hammerhead show that character. He maybe a henchman, but he's not too foolish to take an untested drug.
    "I am a man of peace."

    "A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

  13. #28
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Dannys loss last issue dissapointed me

    But his return was utterly brilliant , outstanding art

    Certainly brilliant to look at

    Solid writing and use of ben to frame the story is excellent

    The creative are imo doing the best all round at marvel at the moment

    Love all 4 characterisations here especially danny

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •