Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 181 to 191 of 191
  1. #181
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I'd bloody love to know what the game plan is right now. Despite what people joke (I hope they're joking), being a Batbook doesn't guarantee success. 5/9 of the Bat ongoings right now aren't doing so hot, all of them will be below 20,000 before their 2 year mark and 3 of those will likely be cancelled by that point. Different standards I know, but you can toss Mother Panic in there too if you want. So with that in mind, you'd think they'd want to try new books for their biggest successes outside of Bruce and Dick, who still have demand (and are currently either being sidelined or butchered) but no, they're gonna give a book to Duke based off clearly inflated sales.
    I still think that it would make more sense for DC to push the established characters that are struggling (at the moment RHatO and Batgirl) instead side lining them and to promote new ones.

    And imo it was a big mistake that they started to introduce new characters (and reintroducing the ones that didn't made it through flashpoint) before "fixing" the ones that were there from the start.

  2. #182
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    9,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I still think that it would make more sense for DC to push the established characters that are struggling (at the moment RHatO and Batgirl) instead side lining them and to promote new ones.
    If you're gonna have a Bat-line, you should have more than 5 books (Super Sons isn't technically a part of it.)

    Also, I don't really think a push would do much for those books. Especially in the case of Babsgirl, as I maintain that even with the possibility that better writing could have delayed things, without the multiple factors that allowed the Nu52 book to succeed, this is the best she can do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    And imo it was a big mistake that they started to introduce new characters (and reintroducing the ones that didn't made it through flashpoint) before "fixing" the ones that were there from the start.
    And I obviously couldn't disagree with you there more than I do, but I'm sure you knew I'd say that when you wrote this.

  3. #183
    Astonishing Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    The oddest thing about Snyder's run was how he didn't want to use Damian because his own son was a similar age, but had no problem using a black child in his stories.
    I had the same concern.
    On the using family thing I just feel Synder isn't/wasn't too keen on writing those types of relationships. It just wasn't his Batman vision or story he was interested in telling just like King right now.

  4. #184
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    3,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Also, I don't really think a push would do much for those books. Especially in the case of Babsgirl, as I maintain that even with the possibility that better writing could have delayed things, without the multiple factors that allowed the Nu52 book to succeed, this is the best she can do.
    I still think that there would be potential for stronger sales, with a more mature direction and and better writing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    And I obviously couldn't disagree with you there more than I do, but I'm sure you knew I'd say that when you wrote this.
    Yupp I knew, but I think it wouldn't have delayed the reintroduction much (or maybe not at all) if they had done that right from the start. Or maybe it could have gone even faster without the new characters (Cass instead of Strix, Steph instead of Harper).

    And there were definitely some Batbooks that could have been used for something/someone else (Batwing, Talon, The Dark Knight, Worlds Finest) and Batman Inc. was imo also a concept they could have thrown out with the reboot.

  5. #185
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    I'm sorry but this is really funny coming from Snyder.
    Is it? For the most part it was not the writers who didn't want to use her but MANAGEMENT who kept her out of books.

    Maybe he means if Duke has a book-this would be a place to keep Cass & Stephanie around and definitely PROTECTED form getting tossed away again.


    The oddest thing about Snyder's run was how he didn't want to use Damian because his own son was a similar age, but had no problem using a black child in his stories.
    There is an age difference between the two. Damian and Snyder's son were 11 and Duke is what 17 now?

    And with Duke-you still have his messed up parents and the eventually meeting with Joker over it (without Hal this time).

    And DC has to put up a fight for that black teen hero market before Miles & Riri & Moon Girl take it over. Help DC if Wakanda get a teen hero. If Static is nowhere to be seen somebody got to fight those three.

  6. #186
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Is it? For the most part it was not the writers who didn't want to use her but MANAGEMENT who kept her out of books.

    Maybe he means if Duke has a book-this would be a place to keep Cass & Stephanie around and definitely PROTECTED form getting tossed away again.




    There is an age difference between the two. Damian and Snyder's son were 11 and Duke is what 17 now?

    And with Duke-you still have his messed up parents and the eventually meeting with Joker over it (without Hal this time).

    And DC has to put up a fight for that black teen hero market before Miles & Riri & Moon Girl take it over. Help DC if Wakanda get a teen hero. If Static is nowhere to be seen somebody got to fight those three.
    Pretty sure Duke wasn't 17 back then and Synder's son was 7 when he made that statement.

  7. #187
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    The oddest thing about Snyder's run was how he didn't want to use Damian because his own son was a similar age, but had no problem using a black child in his stories.
    He had a problem specifically writing TEN year olds like Damian, who is a very different character from Duke, who thinks before he goes into things and is more serious about what he is getting into beforehand.

    And it seems like Snyder is over it now, since he's been writing Damian in Metal.

  8. #188
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    5,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I still think that it would make more sense for DC to push the established characters that are struggling (at the moment RHatO and Batgirl) instead side lining them and to promote new ones.

    And imo it was a big mistake that they started to introduce new characters (and reintroducing the ones that didn't made it through flashpoint) before "fixing" the ones that were there from the start.
    Creators get financially rewarded if they invent characters. I really think that's a big part of why Snyder does it. Not for the money, per se, but because it's something he's added to the legend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    The oddest thing about Snyder's run was how he didn't want to use Damian because his own son was a similar age, but had no problem using a black child in his stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Pretty sure Duke wasn't 17 back then and Synder's son was 7 when he made that statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    He had a problem specifically writing TEN year olds like Damian, who is a very different character from Duke, who thinks before he goes into things and is more serious about what he is getting into beforehand.

    And it seems like Snyder is over it now, since he's been writing Damian in Metal.
    Damian is 13 now, and I think that's why Snyder's using him in Metal. But the age thing is the big issue. He deliberately made Duke of an age where he wouldn't be feeling those things about his son. Though I'd be very interested to see what happens when Snyder's kids are in their teens, if he starts feeling differently.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

  9. #189
    Long Live The Phantom Aioros22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I still think that it would make more sense for DC to push the established characters that are struggling (at the moment RHatO and Batgirl) instead side lining them and to promote new ones.

    And imo it was a big mistake that they started to introduce new characters (and reintroducing the ones that didn't made it through flashpoint) before "fixing" the ones that were there from the start.
    That is a weak excuse to me. They should promote Ratho on its own merit and Jason's and often they dont but theres no way I use that fact as means to stop new characters in. Its their job to work multiple books.

    They should award popularity regardless of the new toys and vice versa.
    White Tiger P.O.C
    https://vimeo.com/195242203

    "Take your clowns and get out!"
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/ec7a9a0c...e68o1_1280.png

    I don`t care
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FPkrddyP0v...s1600/02-4.png

    "Second star to the right... and straight on till morning"
    http://www.benreillytribute.x10host....BenGrieves.jpg

  10. #190
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    814

    Default

    I get the sense that Snyder's enthusiasm for Harper and Duke was simply an enthusiasm to include an alt bat family member and a black bat family member, more so than an enthusiasm for specific stories/drama/personalities, etc.

  11. #191
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Creators get financially rewarded if they invent characters. I really think that's a big part of why Snyder does it. Not for the money, per se, but because it's something he's added to the legend.
    There is no guarantee you will see Duke once Snyder leaves. We saw what happened to Cain & Brown.

    And I don't think all these guys get paid for usage in some cases.

    I mean would it be bigger to take an established guy that many have struggled with and build him up? And save Duke for a new life at say Image?

    We have a Back Panther movie because of what Priest did in 1998. When Panther's own creator could not get him to sell. Priest who had NO interest in Panther started an 11 year run of solos. We have gone only 5 years without a Panther ongoing. What POC at DC can say that? Only Cyborg & Static can boast a second volume.

    I will put it to you like this who would expect a movie out of if DC wanted to do one beyond Bruce, Dick, Harley & Babs?

    Cassandra
    Stephanie
    Luke Fox Batwing
    Duke

    Or

    Static
    Duke-even if you toss in Batman

    Especially if you are trying to counter Miles Parker Morales or Ms Marvel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •