Fantastic Member

Default Non-Kirby Mister Miracle Stories

With all the talk about the new Mister Miracle and Kirby's 100th birthday, I tried both the new series and Kirby's Mister Miracle and I liked them a lot! Are there any other, non-Kirby Mister Miracle stories worth reading (solo and in team books)? Many thanks in advance!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    With all the talk about the new Mister Miracle and Kirby's 100th birthday, I tried both the new series and Kirby's Mister Miracle and I liked them a lot! Are there any other, non-Kirby Mister Miracle stories worth reading (solo and in team books)? Many thanks in advance!
    JM Dematteis' and Keith Giffen's classic Justice League International is great if you want the character in a more grounded setting. It focuses extensively on his domestic suburban life with Barda (the whole run is famous for its sitcom like vibe) plus it's pretty fun seeing him interact with other heroes of various prominence.
    Last edited by BlueElf94; 08-10-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Morrison's Seven Soldiers is brilliant. It stars Scott's protege Shilo Norman.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I was actually thinking about mentioning this. It was a really interesting take on the 4th World pantheon. I also tell everyone I know to read it before they try Final Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    JM Dematteis' and Keith Giffen's classic Justice League International is great if you want the character in a more grounded setting. It focuses extensively on his domestic suburban life with Barda (the whole run is famous for its sitcom like vibe) plus it's pretty fun seeing him interact with other heroes of various prominence.
    I second this recommendation.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

"Don't we at the very least deserve the right to exist?" - Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    Good to know. I already have the 1st three volumes of this run, but haven't read them yet. Are they featured throughout this run?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yes, I have read that, but I forgot to mention it, because it does not star Scott Free.

Standing Member

After Jack Kirby's MISTER MIRACLE was cancelled in 1974 with issue 18, it was brought back in 1977 for issues 19 - 25, written by Steve Englehart and Steve Gerber and illustrated by Marshall Rogers and Michael Golden. All of these issues were really really good and with such top talent I don't know why they've never been collected in a TPB.

Before that revival (in 1974 and 1976), Mister Miracle had a couple of crossovers with Batman, by Bob Haney & Jim Aparo, in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 112 and 128. You can find both stories reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD (Batman Team-Ups) Vol. 3--or in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: JIM APARO Vol. 1 & 2 respectively. The combination of Batman and Mister Miracle really works well and Jim Aparo was excellent at illustrating both masters of escape and their supporting cast.
    For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
    By making his world a little colder

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    After Jack Kirby's MISTER MIRACLE was cancelled in 1974 with issue 18, it was brought back in 1977 for issues 19 - 25, written by Steve Englehart and Steve Gerber and illustrated by Marshall Rogers and Michael Golden. All of these issues were really really good and with such top talent I don't know why they've never been collected in a TPB.

Before that revival (in 1974 and 1976), Mister Miracle had a couple of crossovers with Batman, by Bob Haney & Jim Aparo, in THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 112 and 128. You can find both stories reprinted in SHOWCASE PRESENTS THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD (Batman Team-Ups) Vol. 3--or in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: JIM APARO Vol. 1 & 2 respectively. The combination of Batman and Mister Miracle really works well and Jim Aparo was excellent at illustrating both masters of escape and their supporting cast.
    Thanks! I'll look these up.

#MakeMineMilkshake CaptCleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    This series was a victim of the DC Implosion. I think it also might have done a lot better with a more experienced medium as Gerber and Englehart were doing great work and there were flashes of style that would be more common later on. Those writers and artists were some of the late seventies most talented and I regret being unable to see that series reach its potential.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This series was a victim of the DC Implosion. I think it also might have done a lot better with a more experienced medium as Gerber and Englehart were doing great work and there were flashes of style that would be more common later on. Those writers and artists were some of the late seventies most talented and I regret being unable to see that series reach its potential.
    I'd pick up #25 (series finale) of Simonson's "Orion" series. The whole series is my favorite take on the New Gods after Kirby's seminal work, but Scott plays a big part in the finale and the issue sheds some light as to why Scott is important to the New Gods mythology.

#MakeMineMilkshake CaptCleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'd pick up #25 (series finale) of Simonson's "Orion" series. The whole series is my favorite take on the New Gods after Kirby's seminal work, but Scott plays a big part in the finale and the issue sheds some light as to why Scott is important to the New Gods mythology.
    I am currently trying to hunt down roughly the last half of Simonson's Orion series.

Standing Member

I know that people like to crap all over John Byrne, but I loved his JACK KIRBY'S FOURTH WORLD, which made good use of Mister Miracle and Big Barda--and Walt Simonson contributed a lot to that title, which is how his ORION series developed as the natural follow up to JK4W. The back-up stories from it--by Byrne, Simonson and various--were reprinted in TALES OF THE NEW GODS (2008), but I don't think the lead stories have been reprinted as yet.
    For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
    By making his world a little colder

Scott also played a role in the Justice League story Darkseid War.

Its not on the level of the other recommendations here, but it uses the New Gods quite a bit, Scot gets a good chunk of panel time, and there are a few bits here and there that I really like, such as everything rotting and decaying when the New Gods of Apokolips are around.

Plus, art by Jason Fabok, who is one of the industry's best.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

There's a 1987 Special by Mark Evanier with art by Steve Rude and Mike Royer that is a great read.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

There is another Mister Miracle series that ran concurrently with Justice League International/America, for 28 issues from 1989 to 1991. It was written by J.M. DeMatteis, Len Wein, and Doug Moench at various points, and it was more about Scott, Barda, and Oberon seeking a normal life in the suburbs, but weirdness and conflict always finding them. The book tied in heavily with Justice League America when Scott, Oberon, and Funky Flashman (Jack Kirby's unflattering huckster analogue of Stan Lee) went on a cosmic performance tour, replacing Scott on Earth with a lifelike android that was prone to malfunctioning. Of course, wacky hijinks ensued.

A lot of people don't even remember this series, and it was never collected.