Default The Shadow (Vol. 3) by Si Spurrier & Daniel HDR (Dynamite)

Well, the first issue of the latest The Shadow series (by Si Spurrier & Daniel HDR) was released this past Wednesday.

I looked it over at the store, but decided not to buy it.
    One of the problems I had with it is that it's set in modern times (as opposed to back in the 20th century), and those stories with The Shadow don't always work for me. Also, it's hard to say how much of "The Shadow" we actually had in this story.

Did anybody buy an issue (or at least read it in its entirety in the store)?
    What do other people think?

https://www.dynamite.com/previews/C7...vARocafort.jpg

Wasn't even aware it was coming out. Just read it because of this thread. Loved it! A direction I didn't expect.

I had been loving the Batman/Shadow crossover and this was great to see as a new ongoing.

oh going by what Razorfist said about the writer and the book I think will stay away form this.

Quote Originally Posted by a kiss to remember View Post
    oh going by what Razorfist said about the writer and the book I think will stay away form this.
    Razorfist?

What was said, and where was it said?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Razorfist?

What was said, and where was it said?
    https://youtu.be/uqjBum_xd5Q

watch it and realize what this writer turned the shadow into

Yyyyyyeah, not particularly interested in the opinion of that one guy vlogging himself in monochrome while wearing driving gloves (?) in his bedroom (??) getting upset about social justice in a medium based around protagonists bringing justice to social spaces.

I liked the issue. It's not 100% Spurrier, since Dan Watters is doing the actual nuts-&-bolts scripting while simply following Spurrier's outline and notes. That's a bummer for me but might be a good point for others since the dialogue is a lot less baroque and, well, bonkers than his usual. Beyond that, it summarizes the idea of the Shadow smartly, gives a nasty example of what he'd usually be up to in a modern world, and teases interesting things to come. And Daniel HDR makes the book look very nice.
    Hey, you! Visit the Domino Appreciation Thread right now, or DOOP GETS IT!

Quote Originally Posted by a kiss to remember View Post
    https://youtu.be/uqjBum_xd5Q

watch it and realize what this writer turned the shadow into
    That video is cringe AF.
    Currently Reading:
    Strontium Dog: The Kreeler Conspiracy by John Wagner & Carlos Ezquerra
    Monster by Naoki Urasawa

This has not arrived in The Grim North yet, though when I read the synopsis I did wonder how it would work. The previous 'Shadow Now' series was not brilliant, and as someone - Michael Uslan? Matt Wagner? - has said The Shadow doesn't really work in an age of mobile phones and GPS etc.
    I also like the Batman/Shadow pairing, though the artwork could be better (I'm so picky...).