Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    You mean something like this?
    Just kidding btw
    Its like saying I like Vampires and you point me in the direction of Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman)... I'm so glad I forgot almost everything from Miller's ASB

In your own headcanon,

How short is too short for Bruce?
    How tall is too tall?
    How young is too young for Bruce to debut as Batman?
    How old is too old?

For me:

5'11 is the shortest (I liked Michael Keaton's Bruce), 6'2 is the tallest.

21 years is the min start age, 24 years old is the max start age

Does it matter? Not really. Can it be Fun? Sure can!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

He shouldn't be as tall as Superman or WW, but he also shouldn't be short either. He's above average for a man (probably around 6'2).
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    He shouldn't be as tall as Superman or WW, but he also shouldn't be short either. He's above average for a man (probably around 6'2).
    So, going by that logic (which I agree with): if Supes is generally listed at 6'3", and Wondy is now currently listed at 6'2" (without heels) post-Rebirth, then Bats should be at most 6'1".

Current average height for the American adult male is 5'9" tall, btw.

What about Bruce's weight? How much is too massive and how little is too lean? Me personally: no less than 190 lbs, no more than 210 lbs.

Regarding age, I feel 25 is too late to start this kind of physical career. I look at Bruce's career timeline like a professional NFL quarterback: start playing Pop Warner from age 12 - 14, high school 14 - 18, college 18 - 22, pro 22 - 39, retired before age 40.

If Bruce starts seriously training at age 12, he's ready by age 22 to don the cowl and start his pro career, IMHO.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

That seems about right
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So, going by that logic (which I agree with): if Supes is generally listed at 6'3", and Wondy is now currently listed at 6'2" (without heels) post-Rebirth, then Bats should be at most 6'1".

Current average height for the American adult male is 5'9" tall, btw.

What about Bruce's weight? How much is too massive and how little is too lean? Me personally: no less than 190 lbs, no more than 210 lbs.

Regarding age, I feel 25 is too late to start this kind of physical career. I look at Bruce's career timeline like a professional NFL quarterback: start playing Pop Warner from age 12 - 14, high school 14 - 18, college 18 - 22, pro 22 - 39, retired before age 40.

If Bruce starts seriously training at age 12, he's ready by age 22 to don the cowl and start his pro career, IMHO.
    That's very sensible. But Batman is not a "realistic" franchise - if you really took the kind of damage Bruce does in the comics, you'd be out after about a year, I think. I choose to think he's in his mid 30s, starting sometime in his mid 20s, and since DC's never going to actually tell us his age, I don't stress about it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

How short is too short for Bruce? 6 feet
    How tall is too tall? 6'6
    How young is too young for Bruce to debut as Batman? 21 or 22 maybe, definitely don't agree with Grant Morrison that he could start at 19
    How old is too old? 27...I think Snyder had him starting at like 27 (?) because of Detective Comics #27 being the first appearance
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    How short is too short for Bruce? 6 feet
    How tall is too tall? 6'6
    How young is too young for Bruce to debut as Batman? 23 or 24 maybe, definitely don't agree with Grant Morrison that he could start at 19
    How old is too old? 27...I think Snyder had him starting at like 27 (?)
    I could see him starting to train at 19, but that's definitely not when he should be becoming Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I could see him starting to train at 19, but that's definitely not when he should be becoming Batman.
    Yea, I'm pretty flexible with when he might have started training, because he can start while doing any schooling and he can start training in Gotham, but yea, I love Morrison, but I definitely don't think he can debut as Batman at 19. 19 is like the new 13, sadly (I'm exaggerating for effect). Maybe if Batman actually started in the 1930s, I could buy him debuting at 19...because back in those days, more was expected of 19 yr olds.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-24-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Yea, I'm pretty flexible with when he might have started training, because he can start while doing any schooling and he can start training in Gotham, but yea, I love Morrison, but I definitely don't think he can debut as Batman at 19. 19 is like the new 13, sadly. Maybe if Batman actually started in the 1930s, I could buy him debuting at 19...because back in those days, more was expected of 19 yr olds.
    I'm 19 and it's weird to think that Bruce would be active at my age but then again it's comic books. I think it would be better that he is still training at this time, he is still in his formative years at 19. 21 is the youngest I will go but I feel like 23 is the best year for him to start. It's a nice age that works for both Batman and Bruce Wayne.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'm 19 and it's weird to think that Bruce would be active at my age but then again it's comic books. I think it would be better that he is still training at this time, he is still in his formative years at 19. 21 is the youngest I will go but I feel like 23 is the best year for him to start. It's a nice age that works for both Batman and Bruce Wayne.
    Age 23 is probably the perfect starting point for Batman's career. That's often the traditional age for graduating college and starting full - time work in the Real World, which would match up with the end of Bruce's training and the beginning of his true job.

I like to think that's how Bruce "celebrated" his 23rd b-day: at the stroke of midnight, his "virgin" Bat-fist punched its first bad guy.

When is Bruce Wayne's birthday anyway?

I know Clark's is either Feb 29 (Leap Day) or April 18 (IRL release date of Action Comics #1 vol 1 in 1938), but when did Detective Comics #27 vol 1 debut?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 08-25-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    When is Bruce Wayne's birthday anyway?
    Feb 19th according to an old DC calendar from 1976.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Feb 19th according to an old DC calendar from 1976.
    That's awesome. From now on I'll celebrate his birthday.

Its a shame that Shaman (LOTDK) is out of print (maybe because Zero Year) I've ignored Shaman for many years and finished it last week. What a great tale.

There's been an old issue where Bruce is said to have studied in Quantico with the FBI and at the Sorbonne (France). Not canon anymore but I always thought what a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Its a shame that Shaman (LOTDK) is out of print (maybe because Zero Year) I've ignored Shaman for many years and finished it last week. What a great tale.

There's been an old issue where Bruce is said to have studied in Quantico with the FBI and at the Sorbonne (France). Not canon anymore but I always thought what a nice touch.
    I think Shaman was set for a nice re-release, but it got cancelled, as so many cool trade solicits do lately.

The FBI and Sorbonne thing you refer to is from The Man Who Falls by Shaman writer Denny O'Neil. It was awesome. It's always gonna be canon to me. I think, with New 52, DC really hurt fan acceptance of what is supposed to be "official canon." And you even see writers that seem confused and refer to things that would have appeared out. So I think canon is more fluid and less clear nowadays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Falls