View Poll Results: Detective Comics or Batman, Which Book Do You Like More?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman

    39 53.42%
  • Detective Comics

    34 46.58%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91
  1. #31
    THE RED HOOD JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    WITH THE OUTLAWS
    Posts
    4,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bat_girl_cc View Post
    Detective Comics, by far, no contest...the only complainers are primarily Batman fans who are mad that Batman isn't as much front and center on this book as they thought/hoped he would be, so they often bring in the "b-but, Tynion is writting it" card, who is doing a very good job by the way, but the truth is that they are the only ones complaining, and the book is selling well...whereas, Batman has overrated and overhyped writter Tom freaking King on it, and still many people dislike it...now, go figure...
    I've said many times why i dont like the Batman title right now, but in the end i guess its a matter of personal taste.
    My complaints are strictly about the mechanics of the writing itself and have nothing at all to do with whether or not Batman is "front and center" in the book. I could care less about that but I do want good stories with strong characterization and plots. I just don't find that Tynion does the second of those well enough that it makes th book an enjoyable read for me. Its a shame really since I loved the idea of a Bat team book and most of the characters involved.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 08-12-2017 at 04:56 PM.

    Aftershock: Alters:
    DC: Action/Batman/Batman Beyond/BoP/Blue Beetle/Bug/Cave Carson/DoomPatrol/Flash/Gotham City Garage/GLS/JLA/Kamandi Challenge/Mister Miracle/Mother Panic/New Super-Man/Nightwing/NW: The New Order/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Teen Titans/Trinity/Wild Storm
    Lion Forge: Accell, Noble, Superb
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Britannia/Eternity/Faith/Harbringer Renegade/Ninjak/Quantum and Woody/Secret Weapons/War Mother/X-O Manowar

  2. #32
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    140

    Default

    I like Detective more. I love the bat family and dislike how they were generally ignored as a team during the new 52. The only thing that could make the book better would be to add Nightwing, Damian and Batgirl to the roster, it would be a huge cast but Dick and Babs are his main two family members and i wish they were there and i wnat more with Batman and his son.
    I feel like I'm sucked into detectiev and invested in all the family and the larger rebirth story and ra's al ghul stuff all looming in the background has me more excited for the future of this book than Batman.

    I do like Batman especially the opening I am Gotham arc but i started noticing the repeating dialogue and weird writing style during I am sucide and it just puts me off a little, there are still great issues in there like the one with Bane tearing his way through Arkham Asylum but then that one didnt have a ton of dialogue.
    War of Jokes and Riddles isn't really doing it for me either, like in the newest issue where Batman told us what happened between Deathstroke v Deadshot and we saw glimpses but i would have preffered an actual issue of seeing them fight and strategise against one another as if we were there beside them watching it unfold instead of having batman tell it to us second hand.
    Pull List:
    Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, ASM:RYV, BR: Scarlet Spider, Jean Grey, PP: Spectacular Spider-Man, X-Men Blue/Gold

    DC: Action Comics, AS Batman, Aquaman, Batgirl, Batgirl & TBoP, Batman, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Hal Jordan & the GLC, Justice League, JLA, Nightwing, Red Hood & the Outlaws, Suicide Squad, Super Sons, Supergirl, Superman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wonder Woman

  3. #33
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    The only thing that could make the book better would be to add Nightwing, Damian and Batgirl to the roster
    Even ignoring my personal biases against those 3, that would still be really bad. They all have multiple books where they're a lead, two of them having solos. 'Tec's cast is already huge, and it doesn't need characters who already get plenty of focus each month taking more of it up.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

    "Don't we at the very least deserve the right to exist?" - Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality

  4. #34
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Putting the actual Bat family in the so called Bat family book probably wouldn't be the best thing for the current cast.

  5. #35
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Putting the actual Bat family in the so called Bat family book probably wouldn't be the best thing for the current cast.
    Pretty sure flamebating is a banable offense on this forum.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

    "Don't we at the very least deserve the right to exist?" - Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality

  6. #36
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    20,501

    Default

    I miss when Robin and Batgirl hung out with Batman .

  7. #37
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Im not flamebating. You stick the fringe guys next to the mainstream guys, and the fringe guys will either draw the short stick or the mainstream guys fans will turn on them like we saw with B&R:E. And im sorry if it offends you, but just because they stick a character next to Batman doesn't make them Bat family. Batman barely has a personal relationship with any of the current 'Tec cast save for Batwoman, and even that is very new.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-12-2017 at 07:22 PM.

  8. #38
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    20,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Im not flamebating. You stick the fringe guys next to the mainstream guys, and the fringe guys will either draw the short stick or the mainstream guys fans will turn on them like we saw with B&R:E.
    I think it'd be fine if we saw the mainstream guys mentoring and working together with the...I don't want to say "fringe," but working together with the rest of the Batfamily in a positive way.

    I'm not sure if Tynion would handle that well but I think it would be nice to see.

  9. #39
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Im not flamebating. You stick the fringe guys next to the mainstream guys, and the fringe guys will either draw the short stick or the mainstream guys fans will turn on them like we saw with B&R:E.
    You said that the cast of 'Tec weren't "Actual" BatFamily. You could not have posted that without knowing that saying that would get under people's skin. You wanna say that you don't consider Basil BatFamily yet because his arc will likely lead him back to being a villain? Fair enough. But the others? Saying that they're not "Actual" BatFamily (especially the character who was Batgirl for a decade and Bruce's daughter) is ludicrous, and a statement completely driven by your bias. And while Luke and JPV may be more side-characters now than the others, there's nothing "fringe" about Cass and Kate.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

    "Don't we at the very least deserve the right to exist?" - Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality

  10. #40
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it'd be fine if we saw the mainstream guys mentoring and working together with the...I don't want to say "fringe," but working together with the rest of the Batfamily in a positive way.

    I'm not sure if Tynion would handle that well but I think it would be nice to see.
    And who of the mainstream members could you see mentoring member like Batwing, Clayface, or Azreal though.

  11. #41
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    20,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    And who of the mainstream members could you see mentoring member like Batwing, Clayface, or Azreal though.
    Well, Dick could probably bounce off them well enough, but that's true with practically any group (unless Dick isn't written well).

    I don't think Batwing or Azrael really need mentoring. The book has kind of evolved past that as far as the membership is concerned. I was thinking more of the original roster with Tim, Steph, and Cass.

    I guess I just think it would be nice to see the entire Batfamily interacting more and I wish we saw more of that in 'Tec.

  12. #42
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    You said that the cast of 'Tec weren't "Actual" BatFamily. You could not have posted that without knowing that saying that would get under people's skin. You wanna say that you don't consider Basil BatFamily yet because his arc will likely lead him back to being a villain? Fair enough. But the others? Saying that they're not "Actual" BatFamily (especially the character who was Batgirl for a decade and Bruce's daughter) is ludicrous, and a statement completely driven by your bias. And while Luke and JPV may be more side-characters now than the others, there's nothing "fringe" about Cass and Kate.
    I know your not gonna like to hear this, but what exactly is Orphans current place in the Batfamily. She's not Bruce's daughter, the current Cass was never even Batgirl, and her connection to Batman is as weak as its ever been. Orphan is just as much of a side character as Luke and JPV.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-12-2017 at 07:35 PM.

  13. #43
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Dick could probably bounce off them well enough, but that's true with practically any group (unless Dick isn't written well).

    I don't think Batwing or Azrael really need mentoring. The book has kind of evolved past that as far as the membership is concerned. I was thinking more of the original roster with Tim, Steph, and Cass.

    I guess I just think it would be nice to see the entire Batfamily interacting more and I wish we saw more of that in 'Tec.
    And i get that, i do, but even with Tim, Steph, and Cass. How well do you think the current Batgirl mentoring Steph and Cass would go over with their fanbase.

  14. #44
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    20,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    And i get that, i do, but even with Tim, Steph, and Cass. How well do you think the current Batgirl mentoring Steph and Cass would go over with their current fanbase.
    Well, I mean, I'm not even crazy about the current Batgirl but I'd still like to see her mentoring Steph and Cass again even as Batgirl.

    But there probably is a good chance that, however it's handled, it would just instigate the wars over the Batgirls again.

    Sometimes I understand why the Batfamily doesn't appear in the main Batman book that much .

  15. #45
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I know your not gonna like to hear this, but what exactly is Orphans current place in the Batfamily. She's not Bruce's daughter, the current Cass was never even Batgirl, and her connection to Batman is as weak as its ever been. Orphan is just as much of a side character as Luke and JPV.
    What you just said is true. However, two things you forget: 1) The fandom hasn't suddenly forgotten everything. She may not be mainstream in terms of appearing outside of comics, but as far as comics themselves go, she's still incredibly popular and on the same level as the Robins and other Batgirls. You may not like her, but her fanbase is still large and passionate as ever. We remember everything. 2) Tynion clearly has more planned for her. That much was at least shown with the ending of League of Shadows, not to mention that she's going to get focus whenever Basil's arc roles around. While yes, it's unlikely that her history as Batgirl will be restored with the current editorial, I don't think it's out of the question that the adoption will take place down the line. (I'll actually be asking Tynion about that when I see him next week)

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    And i get that, i do, but even with Tim, Steph, and Cass. How well do you think the current Batgirl mentoring Steph and Cass would go over with their fanbase.
    Well, we might find out in a couple months, since Cass and Steph are going to be appearing in BoP.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

    "Don't we at the very least deserve the right to exist?" - Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •