View Poll Results: Detective Comics or Batman, Which Book Do You Like More?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman

39 53.42%
  • Detective Comics

34 46.58%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Default Detective Comics or Batman, Which Book Do You Like More?

I think Batman is a good book, but has more hits and misses throughout the run so far. 'Tec hasn't been as good as when Tim and Steph were on the book, but it's still the BEST Batman book being published right now. I love the team dynamic and the stories have been amazing.

So I voted 'Tec.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

I tend to enjoy Detective Comics more consistently than I do Batman.
    "You'll never learn to fly now 'til you're standing at the cliff."

'Tec isn't always great (The newest arc was probably the strongest since the opening arc though), and even when it's firing on all cylinders, it has plenty of problems...still better than King's run though, at least what I've read of it and heard about it.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

Please refer to me with gender neutral pronouns.

Detective for me. I like some of the ideas King has going on in Batman, but I find the execution of them grating more often than not. I don't think his writing style is a good mesh for Batman. Detective is more popcorny, but has been more consistent and handles all its characters pretty well (some better than others, but none badly).
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Going with Detective, mainly because I just haven't really liked any of Tom Kings work :/
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

while i enjoy both books i like Detective more.

Batman is far superior.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Batman definitely. I think if you're more into the Batfam from a team perspective, I can see liking Tec more though. DC was smart to give it this distinction. Tynion just doesn't do it enough for me.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

No surprise, Tec all the way for me. Tom King's stuff is hard to judge individually - I haven't loved any of his arcs except the short interludes, but I appreciate the craft he puts into them. Tynion, however, is doing pretty much most of the things I want desperately from a Batman book.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Reviews

Batman by a huge margin. Tynion's work leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Aftershock: Alters
    DC: Action/Batman/Batman Beyond/Black Lightning/Flash/Gotham City Garage/GLS/JLA/Mister Miracle/NS-M/NW: The New Order/RHATO/Super Girl/Superman/Super Sons/Teen Titans
    Lion Forge: Catalyst Prime: Accell/Astonisher/Incidentals/Kino/Noble/Superb + Jazz Maynard &Voltron: Legendary Defender
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Eternity/Harbringer Renegade/Ninja-K/Q&W/War Mother/X-O

I think whichever one someone prefers depends a lot on what you want out of a Batman title, though it also probably doesn't help that King's writing isn't all that mainstream, at least compared to Tynion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think whichever one someone prefers depends a lot on what you want out of a Batman title, though it also probably doesn't help that King's writing isn't all that mainstream, at least compared to Tynion.
    I don't think it has to do with the writing styles. For instance, I LOVED his work on Vision, but his Batman left me cold.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

Please refer to me with gender neutral pronouns.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I don't think it has to do with the writing styles. For instance, I LOVED his work on Vision, but his Batman left me cold.
    Well, Batman is a very different book from Vision, so I imagine that's probably part of it.

Mother Panic.

Yes, I know it's not a poll option, but I dislike both Batman and Detective Comics these days. (Also haven't bothered to even buy an issue of Snyder's All-Star Batman.)

The only Bat-related titles I've been buying regularly these days have been:
    Batgirl
    Gotham Academy: Second Semester
    Mother Panic

and Gotham Academy just ended this week.

I must go with Batman, I freaking love King's run. Tynion is doing an ok job imo, with some hit and misses. I agree that King's Batman isn't as mainstream as the writing for the character usually is, contrary to what Tynion does. I haven't checked All Star Batman but I guess it isn't all that different to what Snyder did previously with Batman. By the way, I'm not saying that a mainstream writing is bad or inferior to other types, I find it great that there's more than one option for people to chose and that they're making a good impact on so many people. Because of that is that I find the King vs Tynion's run discussions so exacerbating