View Poll Results: Jack Kirby Specials for August 2017: what are you buying (if any)?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • August 2nd = New Gods Special #1

    20 55.56%
  • August 9th = Newsboy Legion & The Boy Commandos Special #1

    8 22.22%
  • August 16th = Sandman Special #1

    13 36.11%
  • August 23rd = Manhunter Special #1

    8 22.22%
  • August 30th = Black Racer & Shilo Norman Special #1

    10 27.78%
  • August 30th = Darkseid Special #1

    19 52.78%
  • not planning to buy any of these

    9 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16
    Ultimate Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,711

    Default

    Picking up all of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    None... because I couldn't give a toss about Kirby.
    Wow. Off the charts ignorance.

  2. #17
    Spectacular Member zoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yagamifire View Post
    The New Gods Special was excellent. Really enjoyed that issue and would absolutely buy an on-going in that vein.
    I also enjoyed The New Gods Special as well I wouldn't mind if was ongoing as well I'm also going to get the Darkseid Special and maybe Black Racer & Shilo Norman Special as well its a great month to be New Gods fan.

  3. #18
    Mighty Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,686

    Default

    Have any of you guys had a look at DC's Jack Kirby comixology sale?

    If so, is there anything in it that you'd particularly recommend? (I'd never read any of it...budget limited as always...but leaning towards getting "The Forever People" stuff...unless you experts recommend otherwise.)

  4. #19
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Picking up all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    None... because I couldn't give a toss about Kirby.
    Wow. Off the charts ignorance.
    To be fair, Kirby is more of a historical importance thing.
    When I started reading his DC stuff in the 1970s, his style wasn't exactly the same as most other superhero comic books at the time. By the time he left DC and was back at Marvel for the mid-1970s, I hated his Black Panther and Captain America runs, but Eternals was a different story.
    To somebody who may have started reading comic books towards the 1980s or even later, I could see how Kirby stories from the 1970s or later may not initially appeal to them. It is a very different style from where comic books have changed to over the past few decades.

  5. #20
    Heir of Batman adrikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Teen Titans Tower
    Posts
    4,094

    Default

    Darkseid Special #1

  6. #21
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    I'm game for this, very rarely do comics writers "get" the 4th World concepts- but Kirby is king. The Sandman one looks wild and wonderful. I've loved him in BUG!

    I'll be getting New Gods, Darkseid, Sandman, and Black Racer.

    I might pick up the other 2, not sure yet.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-11-2017 at 07:38 AM.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  7. #22
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'm game for this. The Sandman one looks wild and wonderful. I've loved him in BUG!

    I'll be getting New Gods, Darkseid, Sandman, and Black Racer.
    Wait . . . which version(s) of Sandman have appeared in BUG!: THE ADVENTURES OF FORAGER?

    I know the 1940s version of Sandman and Sandy were in issue #2.



    But I believe the Special is dealing with the 1970s version from Simon & Kirby.



    (Though I think 1940s Sandman & Sandy may show up in the Manhunter Special.)


  8. #23
    Incredible Member Powertool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    579

    Default

    Everything but the Black Racer & Shilo Norman Special (because Hudlin). I started reading American comic books in the second half of the 2000's and I genuinely think that Jack Kirby, both as an artist and as a writer, is easily better than 90-95% of his colleagues of today. There just can't be enough tributes to this exceptional man and it's almost unconceivable that, among the two Majors, DC is the only one churning out these initiatives (Bug! and Kamandi Challenge included).

  9. #24
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Have any of you guys had a look at DC's Jack Kirby comixology sale?

    If so, is there anything in it that you'd particularly recommend? (I'd never read any of it...budget limited as always...but leaning towards getting "The Forever People" stuff...unless you experts recommend otherwise.)
    Yeah definitely read his forever people run, I must also recommend to you his kamandi and omac runs, there so ahead of their time it's unreal.

    Can't forget his new gods book which I recommend you read before (if you haven't read it) forever people so your not baffled after reading lol, there not exclusively linked but you'll gain a better understanding of the forever people if you read new gods first.

    The writing is way ahead of its time and still holds up well today imo, but while there so cheap on comixology there definitely worth a read.

  10. #25
    Mighty Member JackDaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinr View Post
    Yeah definitely read his forever people run, I must also recommend to you his kamandi and omac runs, there so ahead of their time it's unreal.

    Can't forget his new gods book which I recommend you read before (if you haven't read it) forever people so your not baffled after reading lol, there not exclusively linked but you'll gain a better understanding of the forever people if you read new gods first.

    The writing is way ahead of its time and still holds up well today imo, but while there so cheap on comixology there definitely worth a read.
    Thanks. Looking forward to reading some of Jack K's DC work...up to now just read almost none of it, just an issue here or there in various "best of collections".

  11. #26
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,040

    Default

    By the way, for anybody who read the Newsboy Legion & The Boy Commandos Special, did you figure out who the four famous people the Boy Commandos and Newsboy Legion consulted with prior to them getting together at the "The Mystery Men Canteen" (which I'm assuming is a play on the "Stage Door Canteen" located in various cities during the war)?



    (And, yes, I knew who they were.)

  12. #27
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Wait . . . which version(s) of Sandman have appeared in BUG!: THE ADVENTURES OF FORAGER?

    I know the 1940s version of Sandman and Sandy were in issue #2.



    But I believe the Special is dealing with the 1970s version from Simon & Kirby.



    (Though I think 1940s Sandman & Sandy may show up in the Manhunter Special.)

    Issue #1 of BUG! had the 70s Sandman!

    Bug-The-Adventures-of-the-Forager-1-DC-Comics-Young-Animal-Cosmic-Odyssey-spoilers-10 (1).jpg
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-11-2017 at 01:16 PM.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  13. #28
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Thank you for clarifying.
    I only got issue #2 and really didn't feel the need to buy / read any others.

  14. #29
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Thank you for clarifying.
    I only got issue #2 and really didn't feel the need to buy / read any others.
    The writing definitely leaves a lot to be desired, and can be obtuse to get through. I can never pass up such amazing art though. Mike and Laura Allred are so grand.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  15. #30
    Invincible Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,040

    Default

    Perhaps not surprising is that the most popular poll choices currently seem to New Gods Special #1 followed closely by Darkseid Special #1.

    Least popular choice at the moment is Manhunter Special #1, though whether that's because of the writers (Keith Giffen and Dan DiDio for the main story) or because of the character (Paul Kirk, DC's Golden Age Manhunter).



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •