Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Opinions on Grant Morrison's Action run.

Is it worth reading. I'm hit and miss with Morrison's work.

I think Morrison is hit and miss, but Action was almost all hit. It's like a bigger, more imaginative Birthright, using a young (somewhat Marvel styled) Superman to deliver a solid year one type of story. I'd give it an 8.5 overall and would recommend it to anyone.

It's by far the best New 52 Superman run of them all. Big epic stories, psychedelic sci-fi writing and takes inspiration from basically all eras of Superman comics.

Issues 0 to 10 are very good, after that it sorts of fell apart for me.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

It's good, but not the be-all-end-all that people like to tout it (and most of Morrison's work) as being.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

I think its been the best single run on any Superman title in the last 30 years or so. And it provided the only completely solid origin the character has ever had in just as long if not longer (a few years from now in retrospect, it being gone, stepped over by Johns' bland origin ideas from a failed earlier book, is going to be seen as one major misstep of the Rebirth initiative). The only negative I can conjure up is that Rags tended to be hit and miss with the art. And I would have preferred no malevolent tone to the demise of the Kents. At the very least I would have had Superman successfully alter that component...only to have the Kents die more natural deaths anyway. Although the Legion being there as "angels" for them before they passed on was genius.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-11-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Astonishing Member

It's pretty much what I wished the Earth One books had been.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

It was pretty great. Maybe not Morrison's best work, but it was the best sustained run of a Superman book in at least a decade by then. As Sacred Knight said, Rags Morales was hit or miss on art, and I'm not a fan of the implication the Kent's were basically murdered, but otherwise it is the promise of what an " Ultimate " Superman could be if executed well. It's the only run from the New 52 Superman era that will still be considered a classic story or run in retrospect.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 08-11-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I did not read all the issues, but I wasn't thrilled with it.

I know Golden Age Superman started off having an "attitude", but I didn't like Morrison's attempt to bring that to the 21st century in both Superman and in Clark. (In fact, Morrison's Clark was annoying to read.)

The fact that in single issues the first arc (set about five years ago from then) was interrupted by a two-issue "present-day" story with three members of the Legion of Super-Heroes (and, in typical Morrison fashion was strange and vague) didn't help things, but I think the tpb collection may re-order those issues to after the end of the first arc?

If you're a Morrison worshipper, that run is probably very good.
    I find his work to sometimes be good, but this wasn't one of those times for me.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

The TPB did re-order the interlude. And to me it actually lessened the narrative experience. The fun thing about a "flash forward" interlude was wondering how things got there. It was like an episode of Lost. Re-ordering it made it lose that appeal for me.

And no, I'm far from a Morrison worshipper. I just think he gets Superman on a level that pretty much no one else in the company can match. And more importantly REALLY likes the character. I don't get that feeling from many in the company anymore. In fact I can name only one right now: Dan Jurgens. I have my disagreements and critisicms, but I know he loves the character to death. The only real thing he hasn't done which I think Morrison has before is be more all-encompassing with the character in regards to more than just a post-Crisis viewpoint. But maybe Jurgens will get to go to places he never has before with this new version of the character.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-11-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm a diehard Morrison worshipper and didn't like it much (except as an Elseworld). Morrison not going with a more "everything happened" approach turned me off and I read an interview where he confirmed he wasn't taking this approach as opposed to his pre-FP Batman run.

The problem when you don't take that approach with Superman is that you try to compete with old classic comics & media as far as origin and etc, and I just never felt Morrison outdid more classic origin stuff from various Superman media.

Morrison absolutely gets Superman in general and All Star is beyond amazing and probably won't ever ever be beat as the last truly great Superman story, but Action...again, for the reasons above mostly. Action made me sad that New 52 happened, cutting off Morrison from a pre-FP canvass (with more editorial strictures) to do a Superman run.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-11-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    Thank you America for voting for change.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think its been the best single run on any Superman title in the last 30 years or so. And it provided the only completely solid origin the character has ever had in just as long if not longer (a few years from now in retrospect, it being gone, stepped over by Johns' bland origin ideas from a failed earlier book, is going to be seen as one major misstep of the Rebirth initiative). The only negative I can conjure up is that Rags tended to be hit and miss with the art. And I would have preferred no malevolent tone to the demise of the Kents. At the very least I would have had Superman successfully alter that component...only to have the Kents die more natural deaths anyway. Although the Legion being there as "angels" for them before they passed on was genius.
    I'd say it's the least flawed...

But a part of that comes down to getting 18 issues of big ideas with no real interference.

Every other run since 1994 or so has had one of four things going on:

- The writer didn't like Superman. (Azzarello, Austen, Seagle.)
    - There was interference over the editor's head, inserting arbitrary crossovers, mandating length changes, and nixing plot points that had been approved. (Most of the other runs. Pretty much all of the post-Carlin era. Birthright. Even Superman For All Seasons had some of this.)
    - The creative team and/or writer left mid-arc. (Johns, Loeb, JMS.)
    - The writer had weird ideas about what makes Superman tick. (JMS, Azzarello, Austen.)

Morrison's runs on All-Star and Action were the freest of these four issues. I'd say a lot of what's worked in Rebirth is that these four issues have been inobtrusive or non-existant. Jurgens knows how to handle them, particularly editorial needs. Tomasi (who I'm sure COULD handle them) hasn't had to handle them as much and has managed to make the mandated stuff easy to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Issues 0 to 10 are very good, after that it sorts of fell apart for me.
    I'd say #0-13. Stumbled around after but it was pretty much wrapped up by then anyway.

I think it's an excellent series. One of my favorite books of the New 52. Rags' art is wonderful and the stories are so much fun. It gets crazy towards the end but good crazy.

It had some very good ideas and definitely the best part in the New 52 along with Snyder's Batman.
    It is pretty difficult to read it as a whole run, though.