Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I dislike the Jim Lee costume and it gets lost up its own ass towards the end there (as things tend to go when Morrison gets a little too self indulgent), but it is overall the best Superman run we had in recent memory. Leagues better than what was coming out in the few years before it, and arguably since.

I wish it went on for much longer than it did.

Loved it...also my first superman run though

Brilliant retelling of Superman's early days. Really wish it was still canon in Rebirth. I still definitely recommend checking out, at least the first tpb.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 08-12-2017 at 03:53 PM.

I'm hit or miss with Morrison. I find that a lot of the time, he starts strong but ends up sort of losing his way and everything unravels as he comes to the close.

However, almost everything he does with Superman I tend to adore. And his Action run was no exception.

The first arc is one of my favorite Superman stories of all time. It's a revisit of the Golden Age sensibilities that made Superman a household name in the first place, seen through a contemporary lens, and it digs into that old school foundation and finds the cracks; exploring the why's and how's of such an approach not being a desirable or sustainable status quo. Brilliant work.

Everything else is good. Really good. I love how Morrison plays around with the higher dimensional concepts at work, and the exploration of the 5th dimension and its nature, is mind-bending. Its not the standard kind of superhero fare, and you can't hold it to those expectations, but if you take it for what it is, it's damn smart.

Like a lot of Morrison's stuff, there are ideas laid out that never get the exploration they deserve. This Action run is full of those, and I do think that the overall story suffers a little from a lack of exposure. And I never quite managed to accept his take on Captain Comet, but that's just me.

The run isn't perfect. But it's one of the first things I suggest to anyone looking to get into Superman.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

i liked the idea of "a superman for this generation", a pity that this generation is not the one who writes and/or pays the bills

i also liked the armor it made more sense than many give credit for

Astonishing Member

Morrison's Action run is a good story. Its flaws actually I think stem more from being part of a line-wide reboot cluster-fluff than his actual premise for his story, but even in the midst of that stuff, he just loaded it with really, really cool concepts, cool characters, cool story beats, and cool trippy multiversal and timey-wimey hijinx.

I'd call it 'flawed but solid'. I'm also not that big a fan of the art. It's serviceable in a lot of ways and a lot of chapters have great 'guest artist' type situations, but mostly I think Rags Morales was very miscast as the artist for it, and it needed somebody a bit more visionary and clever with their layouts, and maybe a better costume designer, too. Like, if Cully Hamner had done more than just the backups and annuals, or so on.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I absolutely loved Morrison's run on Action Comics!
    Pull List: Superman, Action Comics, Batman,Titans, Flash, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Youngblood, Black Hammer

Wife's pull list: Wonder Woman

Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

I'd say Morrison's Action is the best Superman run when it comes to the flagship books.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I'd say Morrison's Action is the best Superman run when it comes to the flagship books.
    Very easily.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Fantastic Member

It's a highlight of the New 52, though that's damning with faint praise. It's a solid run, but it's not the end-all, be-all some make it out to be.

I'd still rather read "The Man of Steel" as the origin story.

It's phenomenal.

But i'm biased.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I'd agree with that.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    i liked the idea of "a superman for this generation", a pity that this generation is not the one who writes and/or pays the bills

i also liked the armor it made more sense than many give credit for
    I liked that he found it on Brainiac's ship. I always wondered why the Superman costume wasn't what Jor El wore on Krypton and he put it in the ship with little baby Kal. I never got how Ma Kent was supposed to have made the suit in the old continuity. Could earth needles pierce the fabric? I'm sure this is explained somewhere haha

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

In my opinion, the most enjoyable New52 Superman run we ever got, say what you will about Grant Morrison, you can't deny his passion clearly shows in his work.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I liked that he found it on Brainiac's ship. I always wondered why the Superman costume wasn't what Jor El wore on Krypton and he put it in the ship with little baby Kal. I never got how Ma Kent was supposed to have made the suit in the old continuity. Could earth needles pierce the fabric? I'm sure this is explained somewhere haha
    Clark used heat vision to cut the fabric for Martha.

How she sewed it back together I don't recall.....but I assume heat vision welding.

Also, another nugget from Morrison's run I forgot until just now.....I think Rags Morales was a good choice for that first arc, but he should've been replaced after that as the run moved into a Silver Age homage. However, I really liked that Rags drew Clark physically different from Superman. It wasn't just the slouch and different haircut other artists put in. It wasn't even the pushed-out guy and saggy chin that Quietly gave us in All-Star: Clark and Superman looked like two different people, and that was Morrison playing with the visual impact of psychology. Clark looked scrawny and short in a way Superman could never pull off (even with the muscle contractions of pre-Crisis) because that's how people "saw" Clark Kent. They overlooked the muscles and perceived him as this weak looking nerd, so that's how Rags drew him. I thought that was interesting and clever. I dunno if it's an approach that "should" be used, but I think it was a fun thing to try out and I wouldn't be against someone doing it in the future.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!