Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Morrison's Action is the blueprint for the single best version of Superman ever. He starts off as a street-level character, moves up to a cosmic level character, but never loses the street-level perspective and never acts as though the "little guy" is beneath him to help. That's as good of a blueprint for Superman as we're gonna get.

I think DC needed to fill in the gaps a hell of a lot more than they were willing to, but the idea was still there up until the very last issue when they killed Superman off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Clark used heat vision to cut the fabric for Martha.

How she sewed it back together I don't recall.....but I assume heat vision welding.
    I think Martha's regular needle was capable of sewing the super-thread of Superman's costume- after all she didn't need to harm it in any way, just sew it. Clark handled the cutting, Martha handled the rest. This in contrast to the Golden Age when Superman's suit was his own invention, presumably some special fabric he devised himself.

Honestly, while I think the color-changing armor suit was a good idea in theory, in practice I think the post-Reborn suit is way way better- just about the only aspect of Rebirth I prefer to the New 52, haha!

Also, another nugget from Morrison's run I forgot until just now.....I think Rags Morales was a good choice for that first arc, but he should've been replaced after that as the run moved into a Silver Age homage. However, I really liked that Rags drew Clark physically different from Superman. It wasn't just the slouch and different haircut other artists put in. It wasn't even the pushed-out guy and saggy chin that Quietly gave us in All-Star: Clark and Superman looked like two different people, and that was Morrison playing with the visual impact of psychology. Clark looked scrawny and short in a way Superman could never pull off (even with the muscle contractions of pre-Crisis) because that's how people "saw" Clark Kent. They overlooked the muscles and perceived him as this weak looking nerd, so that's how Rags drew him. I thought that was interesting and clever. I dunno if it's an approach that "should" be used, but I think it was a fun thing to try out and I wouldn't be against someone doing it in the future.
    As for Morales' Clark / Kal dichotomy, I'd go even further. I think every artist ought to differentiate them in a similar way. I do agree that Morales probably should've left after the first arc though, maybe coming back for issue # 0. He was always more interested in the street level Superman than in the way he became the space-level Superman, and that's the story Morrison was telling. In my ideal world, Morales would have gone over to another book telling street level Superman stories, but c'est la vie.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I really enjoyed Morrison's run on Action. It's not his absolute best work or even his best Superman work, but it is well worth reading. I really enjoyed the idea of taking Superman from Golden Age to Modern Cosmic level as a big origin. It does deliver lots of great Superman moments, where he does only what a Superman could do. It has lots of fun and crazy ideas. There are even plenty of touching, emotional moments. Honestly, this Action run has some of my favorite Krypto moments too. Lots of emotion and heart put into Krypto when he was largely dismissed because of his appearance. I really enjoyed the organic way they weaved Superman's social crusader roots back into him and kept that going throughout the run. I found it to be a very inclusive, everything counts, sort of approach to Superman that I really appreciated.

Spectacular Member

I loved his run. The scene where he's with the Justice League and is trying to get them to take on some of the world's biggest problems and find a home for the little hamster was just spot on perfect to me. He Superman being a categorical rejection of the notion of the "impossible" is like a mission statement for the character and Morrison understands that on a deep level and it come through in all of his Superman work. I for one absolutely loved his run and I can't remember another time I was as excited to rush off to the comics shop on a Wednesday afternoon.