Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frank vs Kingpin

Frank (IP man) vs Kingpin (MCU)

That's not the Frank I was expecting.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That's not the Frank I was expecting.
    You were thinking "Donnie Darko", too?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You were thinking "Donnie Darko", too?
    I was thinking Jason Statham from Transporter.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Skillwise, Frank is definitely better than MCU Fisk, who is pretty much a wild brawler, while Frank is, well, played by Mike Tyson, and dare I say, Ip Man's most serious opponent in the series...

In terms of speed, I'd say Frank has an edge there as well, given that he managed to counter Ip Man's elbow counters with that uppercut.

In terms of strength, an edge to Fisk, able to lift a grown man over his head, though that punch Frank used at 2:11 to get Ip off of him? Mechanically speaking, he should not be able to get a lot of power from that position, so he had to use some good brute strength to some degree.

Damage soak and durability wise, advantage Kingpin, he took quite a beating against DD, both with fists and the billy club.

In conclusion, I'd give roughly 7 or 8/10 fights to Frank, with the two-three others going to Fisk by tanking some hits, and managing to overwhelm Frank with his raw strength.

This is hilarious for me, because I ran a mob boss villain in my Pathfinder game who was a terrifying brawler named Frank. The necromancer wound up trapped alone with him, and he just kept walking through everything she had and obliterating her undead with punches. I forget how she got through it; I think the players broke in and rescued her right before he punched her head off.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 08-12-2017 at 06:42 AM.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

Forever
    Wherever

The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    This is hilarious for me, because I ran a mob boss villain in my Pathfinder game who was a terrifying brawler named Frank. The necromancer wound up trapped alone with him, and he just kept walking through everything she had and obliterating her undead with punches. I forget how she got through it; I think the players broke in and rescued her right before he punched her head off.
    Did you punch the Dwarf King, Brick?
    "Someone or thing has got to pay, it's given too much to take away. Oh I just want a legacy, Oh I just want it all to never fade! Don't we all arrive, at the same place where we began?" - Divisi

Mighty Member

Going by the vids I'd give Kingpin the advantage. He's bigger and considerably stronger than IP Man, and I could see Frank getting ragdolled trying to punch it out with him.

Incredible Member

I think Kingpin is too reckless to fight him.
    He is not going to be able to tank as many hits from Frank as he could from season one DD and it appears Frank is faster and more skilled as well.
    Ip Man hits pretty damned hard (inhumanly hard) and took a lot of strikes to do very much to against Frank.
    Not looking good here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Syrile Demonthyst View Post
    I think Kingpin is too reckless to fight him.
    He is not going to be able to tank as many hits from Frank as he could from season one DD and it appears Frank is faster and more skilled as well.
    Ip Man hits pretty damned hard (inhumanly hard) and took a lot of strikes to do very much to against Frank.
    Not looking good here.
    Except he was't just taking punches and kicks from DD. He was getting smashed in the face by the guy's batons and wasn't even slowed down. Like I said going by the vids he looks bigger and much stronger than Frank, throwing around DD like he was made of cardboard. Skill will help but I don't see how boxing is going to stop Kingpin from using his greater size and strength to grab the dude and impose his will on him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Except he was't just taking punches and kicks from DD. He was getting smashed in the face by the guy's batons and wasn't even slowed down. Like I said going by the vids he looks bigger and much stronger than Frank, throwing around DD like he was made of cardboard. Skill will help but I don't see how boxing is going to stop Kingpin from using his greater size and strength to grab the dude and impose his will on him.
    Ip Man used a tiny movement to shatter a femur. His punches send people flying back, etc.
    He hits significantly harder than DD does. At least in season one. Not watched all of season two. Been a bit too busy but it is on my list to do soon.

What does Ip Man have for durability feats though? Because Frank's only real feats in terms of punching strength are that he was able to knock the wind out of Ip Man. How hard Ip Man hits isn't terribly relevant to what kind of hits Kingpin can take from Frank. Generally speaking, to my recollection, we haven't really seen Ip Man just tank a lot of stuff; when he's actually been hit, it's hurt him. He may have a lot of stamina, but it's not like any of Frank's punches kept him down.
    I swim through a sea of stars
    Without looking back to shore
    Faster than light, bending time

Forever
    Wherever

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    What does Ip Man have for durability feats though? Because Frank's only real feats in terms of punching strength are that he was able to knock the wind out of Ip Man. How hard Ip Man hits isn't terribly relevant to what kind of hits Kingpin can take from Frank. Generally speaking, to my recollection, we haven't really seen Ip Man just tank a lot of stuff; when he's actually been hit, it's hurt him.
    His durability is not nearly equal to his other stats (speed, skill, striking power).
    However, he could handle, hits from Twister (not super well, but he handled them) and that guy was pretty beastly.
    Ip Man rarely ever gets hit... in fact, he only takes hits a very few times in the whole series.
    That said, Frank blocked a kick from Ip Man and sent him flying back several feet into a desk just by blocking it.
    His stomach hit sent Ip Man flying backwards with ease.
    I doubt Kingpin has much of a strength advantage, if any, to be honest.
    And definitely does not strike as hard as Frank.
    Actually, after rewatching Twister fight, I am not all that sure that he was not outright stronger than Frank and Frank seemed to be more powerful than him too.

Holy shit! I saw the first two Ip Man movies back when they came out (2008-2011, something like that?) Had no idea there was a third or that Mike Tyson was in it. I have to watch this immediately.